Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads Trouble With 625.

carpcop

I haven't reloaded anything in 16 years, so this is like starting over. I dug out my Lyman turret press and borrowed a set of Lee Carbide dies. Just want to get something done until I can get a Dillon. Loaded 6 rounds of .45 ACP last night, to see if I could, and the rounds look beautiful. The problem came when I put them in the moon clip and dropped them in my 625. With about a quarter inch left, they needed a push to seat. These are 230 grain LRN. Cases are once fired in this gun. OAL is 1.16. I am gonna check and see if I'm not sizing correctly. The dies look like new, and I set then up by the directions, but I don't know where else to start. Anybody got any other ideas for tonight?

Quick thoughts that come to mind:

• Is the sizing die set to size the case all the way down? It should just about touch the shell plate with the ram raised.
  • Too much or too little expansion? Too much bell and not enough crimp is one possibility. Or too little bell and the lead is getting shaved and building up a ridge on the outside of the case mouth.
  • Could be everything else is fine, but not enough crimp being applied.

Edited by AustinMike

thats a mighty short OAL for a 45...if it is 1.16 you have probably bulged the cases with the base of the bullet.

if the OAL i really 1.26, your OK there..you might want to apply a bit more crimp...your not goin to hurt too much w/ a revolver since the round headspaces on the moon clip.

Just an update. The problem turned out to be a lack of crimp after I adjusted and then compared cases. OAL was 1.26. I also had a couple bent moon clips. The one I was having trouble with wasn't, but I went through the rest just to be sure.

Thanks for the help. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reloading.