Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lucas Oil Stabilizer

The local auto parts store seems to sell this stuff like hotcakes. Thet always have a large display of Lucas.

I've never used any additives. Grandpa was a mechanic for over 40 years, and he always warned me that things like STP additives will sludge an engine up terribly. I don't know whether to believe it or not.

I was considering the Lucas stabilizer for an old Farmall Cub tractor that sounds like the bearings and piston pins won't hold much longer.

Has anyone had good experiences with this brand?

If oil stabilizers work well, why not use them as a pistol lube?

They do thicken up the oil as advertised.

The synthetic is way expensive.

I actually think the Lucas brand is pretty good stuff.

Their " Red & Tacky " grease is primo wheel bearing and general purpose grease.

The Lucas fuel additive actually seems to work also.

The oil stabilizer works fine on slide rails. Too thick for trigger parts in a 1911... DOH !

Travis F.

I've never used any additives. Grandpa was a mechanic for over 40 years, and he always warned me that things like STP additives will sludge an engine up terribly. I don't know whether to believe it or not.

Most premium engine oils have various additives including viscosity enhancers. An oil labeled "10 -40" is actually 10W oil with viscosity enhancers that make it as thick as 40W oil at high temp. All additives break down eventually. Oil also gets acidic and fills up with various dirt and contaminants.

The best conventional oil in existence is castrol GTX (learned that from MC racing which destroys oil quickly).

However, any full synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil. If you use full syn and change your oil every 3000 - 4000 miles, you will never need any oil additive and your engine will outlive your car.

• 1 month later...

Any of the Lucas products will work as advertised. Plus their gun oil works extremely well when mixed with Wilson Combat's grease for a nice tight 1911 slide/frame fit :) makes them VERY smooth