Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips For P226 - Production

rvbgtr

I've been using a P226 in production with the factory grips. I've been wondering if the Hogue panel grips or Barnhart's grips might be better. Any experience with either? Do either of these grips allow for better access to mag release? Thanks

Be careful going for "better access to the mag release" if you are shooting USPSA Production division.

You want to make sure you don't go foul of this rule:

21.6 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for the approved handgun and/or the application of grip tape or rubber sleeves is permitted. Modifications to grips, other than previously mentioned, not allowed, such as grooves cut to reach mag release or size reduction.

Sig now sells a wood OEM grip - which may or may not help your reach problem. Even if it was legal in Production, I don't think a grip reduction would get you much mileage in the 226 as the grip screw is directly in the path to the thumb release. What you may want to try is giving the pistol a slight "flip" on the reload to gain access to the mag button. It doesn't take much on the 229, so this isn't much of a stretch from new technique standpoint.

I sell grip tape for the Sig - which *may* help you keep control of the pistol if you have such a short reach you end up having to flip the pistol to get to the mag release. (or you can cobble up your own skid tape).

I sell grip tape for the Sig -

Buy his grip tape, way better than anything you can do yourself, plus it is affordable enough that if it does not do the trick for your issue, you have not ivested a huge amount.

After market grips are not going to help get to that button, I have the same issue. Thus far I just have to make an adjustment (or flip) and get a good floow up grip.

Eric's grip tape has made this more interesting, my "flip" is now tougher due to the friction of the surface. That however is the very slight down side to that far better grip surface that this tape provides.

in short, buy it.