Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doubletap Performance

XRe

Wow... talk about resurrecting an old thread... :D Thanks for the input - let me add in what I remember about the match (its been almost a year, now...)

In general I notice your splits are the same regardless of distance or difficulty. I didn't shoot the match but it seems like there is some variety in distance and difficulty of shots. Sounds like double tapping to me

Nopers... not double tapping ;) Actually, I think the longest shots in the match were 18-ish yards... not exactly all that long. So, while it seems in the video like there's more distance, you're actually seeing a distortion in the depth of the stage caused by the wide angle on the video. It was really a pretty up close and personal kind of match....

On stage 12 you get bit, a double clutch on the trigger and you had already swung off the target. Tells me you weren't aiming, just planned on the gun going off and it didn't..remember to fire each shot on it's own.

The double clutch came entirely from tension... Indexing off the target was caused by seeing the sights where they were as I pulled the trigger, and then not following through completely, and instead moving on - sort of a "half call" - rushing ahead. I was aiming plenty, and had called a sight picture on the target - but hadn't let off the trigger in order to pull it for the 2nd shot...

Various ways to get a double clutch, of course - but the above is the one I'm generally guilty of, not shooting double taps :) You'll notice another at the end of stage 1, and at the end of stage 6...

but on paper you definitly don't get to the next target as quickly as you could..or you are shooting splits on target too fast.

Transitions have been a weak spot for me - and still are, relatively speaking. I've been working them, though, through the year, and they've improved somewhat - still work to be done, of course...

Stage 11, the standards, listen to your splits on the targets freestyle, then listen to the strong hand string. You were definitly aiming each shot of the stronghand, but doubling on the freestyle. Those shots seemed dificult enough that with them being side by side the on target and transition splits should be the same..watch Travis on the same stage:

Actually, what you're picking up here is that my transitions are about the same speed as the best splits I could muster stronghand. Again, the transition weakness, not doubling. The interesting things is that I had good, called shots on all the freestyle stuff, but I pushed that stronghand string just a bit too much, and clipped a no-shoot border. So, I actually should have been a taste more conservative on the stronghand string, but... ;)

You are better off starting in the classic El Prez. start position on this type of stage (square to the wall) because you practice it all the time. when was the last time you practiced a draw (dry fire or otherwise) with your body cocked up like that? Do what you practice, practice what you do.

I'll look at some more later, but thats what I noticed right away.

Interestingly, this particular sort of start position - and screwing myself up into something somewhat uncomfortable - is something I've remedied, for exactly the reasons you describe. In fact, I commented about this on another thread recently, re: Fluffy's Revenge 2 :D

IIRC, I got my hand weird on the beavertail on this one - but I don't see where you think I'm correcting the grip as I move?? I got off balance trying to activate the first set of moving targets (cause I had my hips in a weird position, and the thing had leverage against me...), but I don't shift the grip from there until I reload...???

If you get a chance, check out my vids from the Space City Challenge - and I'll be getting what stuff of me I have from the Open Nats up shortly, as well ;) I think you'll see a big difference in the shooting....

BTW - the end of stage 3 had some of the longest shots in the match (those, and Stage 7, if I'm remembering correctly - the steel at the end...) - notice the difference in cadence there?? They were wide open targets, but at 15-18 yards...

Looked pretty good to me Dave given the time off. Splits are great. The biggies have been identified though:

- Reloads (I understand though being deliberate)

- Transitions (this is one of two biggies that's holding you back)

- Getting into/out of positions sooner

- Keeping that gun up and engaging sooner/on the move

A year later, I have to believe you have most of these bugs worked on. Keep it up and hope to shoot with you when I get back. Vipers should be kept together.

Rich

- Reloads (I understand though being deliberate)

You do realize that's a single stack gun, too, right?? :D Not that that makes the reloads any better, but... :D

A year later, I have to believe you have most of these bugs worked on. Keep it up and hope to shoot with you when I get back. Vipers should be kept together.

Made progress on a lot of stuff, yeah...

There were actually two Vipers at the Open Nats, so that was cool - I wasn't alone, anyway :D

The adjusting of the grip I was refering to was while the gun was still in the holster, not after the draw.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I totally get you on that...