Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time Poster With Newb Question:)

Dsav101

I am new to the sport of shooting and want to train to get into "shape" to try a IPSC style event. My question is very simple. At 50 yards do you use a regular IPSC target? If not what style target are you training? Being newer to shooting, would you start more at 50 yards or more at 25 yards? Right now I am concentrating on shooting groups more than anything. Also reading up alot as well. Thanks for the time!

Welcome to the forum!!

Although the long shot is important, I think you will find most shots to be less then 25 yards in IPSC. Have you visted a match yet, if not you should try to find one and spend a little time there and talk with a few of the shooters. You will learn a lot in just a short time.

George

I've been shooting 3 years now for USPSA, not sure where you live but if it's in the US your going to be shooting USPSA rules not the international IPSC rules..

I've only shot one match that had a 50 yd target... almost all the matches are between 7-20 yds.. Steel of course has specific distances you can shoot it from..

Take a look at the rules, keep working on your accuracy, visit a match... Accuracy is important as well as speed but the speed will come with experience.

good luck have fun.. be safe.

Jeff. B.

My advice is to find a club nearby that shoots USPSA/IPSC matches. If you are in USA then you may want to try this clubfinder that USPSA provides --> USPSA.org. On the right had side of the web-page is a place to put your zip code. The results will show the clubs in your area.

Most clubs organise a new-shooter safety course so contact them and get on that course. There is no real training to get in shape for IPSC. Doing it is the best way to get used to it.

If you want to work on accuracy before hand, that's fine. If you can keep all your hits on a standard IPSC or USPSA target at 50 yards then the close stuff will be like shooting at a barn door. Accuracy is always a good thing.

Best of luck, enjoy the sport and these forums. There is so much information here...

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I am in US. I am in Northern Maryland, about 25 mins from Gettysburg. Will try to get to some matches coming up to get to know the sport more. Seems like an aweful lot of fun....... :)

Bill Drills at 10 & 25 yards. This has been the best "Live Fire" practice I've performed. I have brought my accuracy to where it needs to be in the past couple of weeks spending about 100 rounds 2 times a week just doing the Bill Drills. It's my trigger manipulation, grip and sight alignment live fire training. Everything else is trained in dry-fire.

The Bill Drill (Quote by B.E.)

One of my favorite practice games is the

Bill Drill: IPSC target at 7 yards, hands

over shoulders starting position; at the

beep draw and fire six shots. The goal is

all A-zone hits in 2 seconds or less for a

Master level shooter. The drill doesn’t

“count” unless they’re all As. Make your

own time limit, but put it past the edge of

comfort.

With a target, what do you need to

see? One thing you might notice is that

you’ve gotten in a blind rush to make

the time. So what did (or didn’t) you

see? Sometimes recollecting what you

didn’t see tells as much as knowing what

you did see.

The Bill Drill is not a national competition.

It’s an entertaining exercise.

It’s interesting to monitor the state of

your mind and body when you stand

there and attempt the drill time and

time again. Compare that feeling to

coming out cold and hammering a drill

out. Also try adding shots or changing

distance, or both. One of my ultimate

practice thrills with an Open

Class gun was an 18-shot Bill Drill,

and one of the most challenging is

a 50-yard run.

http://www.vamdsection.org/

That's the VA-MD section home page. Lots of good info. Thurmont might be the closest to you, if you have never shot a club level match, they require you to take the safety course during the morning session, and then shoot the afternoon session.

Bruce

Edited to add Thurmont info, and spell check.

Edited by bruce282

Thanks again good peeps! I have read brians book, however am still trying to figure out how to shoot 6 times in 2 seconds while actually seeing where the shots will go :) LOL. Guess that is why I am not good yet! Will get there with plenty of practice. Also have steve andersons dry fire book and matt burketts practical shooting manuel along with "practical shooting". :) Thanks again, and hopefully meet some of you sometime at a match!

I think you will find most shots to be less then 25 yards in IPSC.

I would be willing to bet the majority of shots nation wide are under 15 yards. Extreme precision isn't required, but you must be able to shoot somewhat straight rather quickly.