Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun Or Used Gun. Please Help

tazshooter

Hello shooters I need your help. I have been shooting limited for a while and I would like to start shooting open.

Should I buy a new gun or a used gun for the first open gun?

Also, I have been to gunbroker.com and there is not much there. Are there other classifieds available for our particular sport?

Finally, should I stick to .38 super, .38 super comp., 9 mm major? What do you recommend best.

I've been told to go with a full size gun as opposed to a shorty, since the longer guns are easier to manage muzzle flip an in turn timing to get back to business. Do you recommend the same?

Your answer will really be appreciated. :D

Shoot a bunch of guns before you decide. Then buy a Bedell in 38SC.

Ok, i'm biased. Best plan would be to try different guns, then buy a used one that runs. After a year you'll know what you want, and could step up to a custom rig.

Also, I have been to gunbroker.com and there is not much there. Are there other classifieds available for our particular sport?

There is a classifieds section on this site Classifieds / Help Wanted or if your a USPSA member there is a classifieds secton on their web site http://www.uspsa.org/members/. Those are prob the best places to pick up a used open gun.

Also welcome to BE.com

You can find good deals on used open guns, but be VERY careful. There are quite a few POS wore out open guns out there looking for a home, I know because I've gotten a few.

Get pictures and a guaranteed inspection with option to return if not satisfied. 9mm or 38 Super would will work fine.

I was kicking the idea of buying an Open gun myself. Not knowing too much about Open guns, I'm probably going to get a new one from a distributor that also shoots Open (Plus I'd like to have it cosmetically customized). My theory is that I can consult him on what bullet, what OAL, load, etc., I should use to make the gun run at 100%. I'd be concerned to buy a used Open gun from someone I didn't know and have to spend the same amount of money to get it running right that I would've spent on buying a new one.

Ask around at your local match, chances are someone is selling, or knows of someone selling a used gun. That way you can try it out, and decide before you buy. I have bought 2 used open guns, Both local sales, 1 in 38S and 1 in 9Major, the 9 needed some tinkering before it ran 100 %

Used is the way to go at first then when you decide what you want you can have one custom built.

Shooting open is not cheap, with 9 being more affordable.

Most shooters would be happy to let you try there guns, just ask!

Ask around at your local match, chances are someone is selling, or knows of someone selling a used gun. That way you can try it out, and decide before you buy. I have bought 2 used open guns, Both local sales, 1 in 38S and 1 in 9Major, the 9 needed some tinkering before it ran 100 %

Used is the way to go at first then when you decide what you want you can have one custom built.

Shooting open is not cheap, with 9 being more affordable.

Most shooters would be happy to let you try there guns, just ask!

+1

This is one of your best bets. This is how I got my current Open gun. Also, if you have a local gunsmith who does work on guns for our sport, let him know you are looking for an Open blaster.

Hello shooters I need your help. I have been shooting limited for a while and I would like to start shooting open.

Should I buy a new gun or a used gun for the first open gun?

Finally, should I stick to .38 super, .38 super comp., 9 mm major? What do you recommend best.

I've been told to go with a full size gun as opposed to a shorty, since the longer guns are easier to manage muzzle flip an in turn timing to get back to business. Do you recommend the same?

Your answer will really be appreciated. :D

It is really a shooter's preference. I like my shorty (about half inch short) compared to my full size gun now due to fast transition and lighter weight but I have to get use to it. Talk to the top shooters in your club and try shooting their blasters.