Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi all,

My progressive scan Toshiba died. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a recorder? I don't have tivo. I want to do time shifting but also archive some stuff. I have digital cable with a HD Mits tv. The Mits has component video in but not HDMI. With the digital cable I think I may want to wait for some sort of "cable card" ready system.

TIA,

Chuck

I have a Pioneer DVR 533 H-S. In addition to recording DVD's, it also uses a TV Guide service to download listings from cable. Apparently they're coded into one of my local channels. It's very user-friendly, and the 80 GB hard drive lets me save around 35 hours of shows at the second-highest setting. I can also burn DVD's from my video camera.

One downside - they're still working the bugs out of the listing service. So far I've had it for a few months, and it's lost the listings seven times. When that happens you have to spend a couple of minutes resetting it, but it then has to re-download the listings. But it's free!

Edited by Genghis

Hi all,

My progressive scan Toshiba died. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a recorder? I don't have tivo. I want to do time shifting but also archive some stuff. I have digital cable with a HD Mits tv. The Mits has component video in but not HDMI. With the digital cable I think I may want to wait for some sort of "cable card" ready system.

TIA,

Chuck

I was going to say buy anything BUT Toshiba..... sounds like you already know that.

Interesting point. The El' Cheapo Deluxe Toshiba DVD players have been the most reliable of the breed for me. I bought 4 of them at Costco for $39/ea a while back and they are as good, or better than the $199 Sony machines I had been using. I use them for DVD testing and rental inventory at my AV staging/rental company. Anything that survives a year of rental use for under $50, is A-OK by me.

JMHO, YMMV.