Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPS

warpspeed

So I sold a rifle to someone in my same state. Went to Post Office to ship the gun and the counter clerk says " Whoa, let me ask."

The Supervisor says "No way". I was very polite, to begin with, and said " I think you are mistaken as the USPS web site says I can."

She gets on phone, to whom I don't know, and asks them. She hangs up and says ( here comes the good part) " You need to call the ATF, they want to speak with you." WTF ? "Why?" I asked. " Becasue you are trying to ship a gun to someone. Why are you doing that?" "Becasue I sold it to them" I replied.

She did not like that. "You can't ship it. You are not a dealer."

I figured at this point there is no way in hell I'm going to convince this fine public servant she is wrong so I asked to speak with her supervisor.

"He is not here." She writes his name and address and hands it to me on the same paper as the ATF phone number.

I call the number for the ATF. The ATF has no clue as to why the USPS won't let me ship a long gun to a person in my same state. She suggests I use FedEx ( no thanks ).

I'm so pissed at this point because I know the USPS person is wrong. So I call the USPS 800 number. This goes much better. I get in touch with the local guru. He askes a couple of Q's - says no problem. You can ship it. Bring it to the regional PO, where he works, and if there are nay problems, he'll fix it.

COOL! So I walk in, tell the counter clerk what I got. He says, "Bolt or Semi-Auto? Any ammo inside ? Any clips or magazines ? " "How much do want to insure it for ?"

WOW. How cool is that, an informed counter clerk at the USPS.

Sounds like you hate an ignorant clerk, not the USPS. But I hate it when any clerk takes it upon themselves to impose their unwarranted ignorant assumptions where they are neither justified or appreciated.

I had a similar run in with a county clerk once who insisted I had to have a political party when I registered to vote. It took a call to the Board of Elections to convince her membership in a political party was not a condition of citizenship.

I've gone to the BATFE web site and printed out the section that speaks about shipping firearms within your own State. I've taken it to UPS, Fed-Ex, and DHL. The only place that would ship a gun for me was the USPS. I did have an ignorant clerk who did about the same thing but when I showed him the print out from the ATF web site he told me to hang on while he let his Post Master look at it. When he came back he said "Sorry, I've never dealt with this before and I wasn't aware of how the laws worked." Then he shipped the gun for me.

What I got from the three big shippers was, basicly "It's company policy to only ship firearms to and from a Federal Farearms License holder. It doesn't matter if it's in State or not."

They are also unaware that you can ship a gun to yourself intercontinental as I did a couple of years ago for a hunting trip I went on.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

I tried to use FEDEX a few months ago.

I called there 800 number and talked about shipping my STI to a gunsmith/FFL. He was very professional, made it sound easy to do business with them. Gave me the number and address of the local hub.

The counter lady was totally different. I think she was the organizer for the million mom march. She treated me like a terrorist, and was clearly anti-gun, outraged that I would try to bring a gun into her shop.

I took My business to UPS.