Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Painting The Front Sight

iweiny

I have for some time painted my front sight. I was wondering what others thought of this. The orange in the bright light seems to have a similar effect for me as a FO. In low light it becomes more like a plain black sight. Also because the color is the entire sight I don't seem to have a problem lining up the sights for long shots...

s8839.jpg

http://ira.homelinux.net/~iweiny/Photos/FrontSite/

So what do others think?

Ira

I'm not sure if the image is going to show up so I added some links... :)

post-5007-1145147381.jpg

Edited by iweiny

I have a friend who swears the orange paint on his front sight is more visible on a cloudy day that a fiber optic insert. If it works, it works. Stick with what works for you. Personally, I find anything up front other than a plain black post a distraction. To each his own.

What you are showing on your pistol is exactly what I had on my duty SIGs when I was a cop. Both my P226 and P220 had night sights but during the day, I just couldn't focus on the front sight. So I painted the brightest orange paint I could find around the front tritium insert.

To me it was the best for all around carry as I could always zero in on the front sight during the day and at night, the tritium took over.

Craig

Well a buddy of mine at the match today had a S&W 625 which had orange on it from the factory. Apparently it is "day-glo" model paint. I have yet to find that paint. But I use paint which is from a special sight paint that I got from the gun store...

Yea I like it. It actually works really well on all black targets we shoot at the indoor range too. Anyway, perhaps someone else will see this and find they like it.

Ira