Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Empty Out The Powder From My Powder Measure?

srv656s

Common sense tells us that humidity would cause problems with powder left out in a non-airtight powder measure. And yet, in this instance, common sense would be wrong!

Last year I defended a lawsuit that was brought against a shooter who had stirred several pounds of Bullseye into a 5-gallon bucket of water and then dumped the whole mess onto his compost pile in the backyard. A year later, another guy happened to drop a cigarette onto that exact spot and was instantly consumed in a 10-foot yellow fireball, which burned him within an inch of his life.

The investigators initially shook their heads, thinking that surely the powder would have chemically broken down from a year of laying out in our varied Iowa climate (plenty of rain and snow). The area had experienced soaking rains just a couple days before the incident.

But then we began taking depositions of the expert witnesses. We deposed an interesting fellow who had retired from the Hercules company after 40-some years of working in production and product management and marketing, and we took testimony from a forensic chemist. Both explained that smokeless powder is designed to be extraordinarily "non-hygroscopic"--meaning it does not readily absorb moisture. This is why the stuff remains usable virtually indefinitely, and only safe way to dispose of smokeless powder is to burn it under controlled conditions.

Long story, I know, but it explains why Merlin had no problems even after leaving the powder out in his measure in the garage for 14 months. In fact, he probably could have left it out there for 14 years and still loaded ammo that chronoed right at 169 p.f.

One other thing I learned from the experts in that case--oddly enough, light has more potential to break down smokeless powder than humidity. So if you're going to keep the powder hopper full all the time, it would be smart to have your press set up in a room that's dark when you're not using it, or put a cover over it when you're not using it. Otherwise, it's not something to worry about.

Things that make you say "HUMM?", learn sometime new everyday :rolleyes:

I MAY empty my 650 as it is A. easy to do and B. I may load something different so I am likely to change tool heads anyways. However, on my 1050, all I load is .40 and whether it is production, short, steel long or USPSA Major long, the powder is the same, the charge changes and the seating depth changes, but I just am not taking the 1050 apart every time I sit down to load 500 rounds.

Yes I do have a couple discolored hoppers, one so bad it is difficult to tell if there is powder in it. That came with the machine. I put a new hopper on last year, it is still crystal clear.

Loading room in dry (Finally) basement. If it gets humid, I may for the sake of all my tools and other stuff, plug in a dehumidifier and let it run all Summer. Winter is no problem.

Jim