Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga 12 Reloading Advantage?

Well it is working better. I'm not confident enough with it yet to use it at a big match like ironman though.

I took it out shooting today. At first it wouldn't cycle for me at all with any ammo, it would consistently fail to eject. I removed that floating dust cover piece off the recoil spring housing and after that it cycled almost flawlessly. I shot 125 rounds of winchester 3 dram #7-1/2 shot all cycled flawlessly except for 1, which I think might have been a magazine problem. I then shot 100 rounds of Federal #6 shot 3-1/4 dram and it all cycled flawlessly. I fired 50 Winchester rifled slugs which all cycled flawlessly. I then went back to some more federal #6 and it failed to to eject every round.

I diassembled it and it appears lead from the rifled slugs is going into the gas system. After a quick dissaessmbly and cleaning (scraping off the lead), it would only cycle 50% of the time without a failure to eject.

I guess I'm making some degree of progess with this thing...

You guys should be glad I'm willing to be the guinea pig :blink:

Edited by SinistralRifleman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I dunno about not using it at Ironman, here's my tale of woe: Just got my shotgun back from fitting a ghost ring & have to sight it in; haven't yet received my 3 gun gear shell or rifle mag carriers; STILL loading rifle ammo; spare pistol is on 'delay' at the gunshop, my AR upper is being overnighted to me & I have to collect my AR lower from another FFL today. :o

I leave tomorrow. Ya think you got questions in yer mind about equipment?????

And I have to add; this is my first major 3 gun match & I'm shooting trooper.......as long as I finish, I don't care. Good luck, I intend to have fun no matter what, as long I don't embarrass myself & I'm seen to be a safe shot, that's all that really counts. :D

• 4 months later...

Bringing this old thread back up. Somebody asked for video of a sub 2 second Saiga 12 reload. This is a video of a little local fun machine gun shoot. I do a Saiga reload at 5 minutes 10 seconds into it.

I'm rusty too. (opened gunstore, have only shot 2 matches in last 10 months) Get sloppy on the insert, working out of a vest instead of a belt, and I let my elbow get too high. But it is still under 2. It isn't as hard as some people think it is. I would think that some of the really good shooters on here could do it a lot faster.

Cool video.

You, and Saiga 12 owners like myself, may not have to reload as often. I just got an e-mail from AGP Turbo asking whether I want to still order the 10-round magazines we ordered a few months ago. I responded yes and asked when they will be shipping. They saig in about a week. Can't wait to get them and have the full 10 + 1. Yahoo!