Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 1050

jedb

The 1050 is set up to load 40s&w. The problem I am having is when I set the bullet on the seating station and cycle the machine the case and or the bullet are being damaged at the case mouth. This happens mainly with nickel cases more so that brass. Anyone out there have any suggestions? I have tried opening up the case a little more and has helped a little.

I've occasionally noticed this with my 1050 over the last 10 years or so. It seems to happen more with plain base bullets than with bevel base bullets, in my experience. A LITTLE extra bell on the case mouth tends to help, but remember that too much bell will shorten the life of your brass.

What I tend to do when this problem raises its head is to hold the bullet in place with my fingers until it starts to enter the seating die. This keeps it straight long enough for the die to take over and do its job. I know it sounds silly to point this out, but DO remember to get your fingers out of the way before you finish pulling the handle all the way! Sometimes we ALL fall asleep at the wheel while doing something so repetitive!!!

Yeah ... I know holding the bullet still is a bit of a bother, but I still wouldn't trade my 1050 for ANY other machine on the market. (Except MAYBE a Super 1050 ... but as I don't load mass quantities of large caliber rifle, it's kind of moot.)

plus one to what Schutzenmeister said.

increase bellmouth, right pins? right shell plate?

anymore problems calls Dillon

PS

Schutzenmeister keep the 1050 before thinking super 1050.

I have both, to me, older is better

Edited by 9x21

.40s are cheap so I bell those more than (still not that much) I bell my 38 SC cases (which is hardly any) on which I have to hold the bullet until it enters the seating die.