Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck Follower

John Dunn

Had a brand new STI .38 Super mag with GE internals and basepad fail today. The follower and one round stuck after firing one or two rounds from the mag. The rounds above the stuck one were easily shaken out, but I smacked the mag every which way and couln't unstick it. In disassembly the spring decompressed in a less than controlled fashion, so I didn't get a good look at exactly what was going on. From above it looked like the stuck round had a slightly nose down attitude. OAL was 1.245 with MG 124's. The load ran great from all the other mags, didn't see a problem with the stuck round.

There must be a thread on this somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Where do I start?

I call it "Going Full Pez" like the candy Pez from the cheep plastic despencer.

The spring at the bottom twisted in the (open) area below the vertical rib lines. Arridondo sells an insert that keeps the spring form rolling.

it did it with my mags with the Dawson +2

Edited by AlamoShooter

John:

Beven once told me he will get springs from time to time that just develop a mind of thier own early on, lol. Typically they will bind or roll and that's just the breaks. He recommended loading and unloading the magazine a couple of times, stripping the round out by pulling straight ahead on the bullet while watching the next round pop up. He also suggested listening for that audible little click when the next round comes up.

If a new spring is faulty (not saying that is your case) Beven will replace it no questions asked. I buy them from Chuck at Shooter's 10 at a time so I just pitch the occasional bad one. Beven has two different setups for springs and followers, his old system and his new system. I converted all of mine to his new system and I have half a dozen of the old springs. If you are using the old springs and followers you are welcome to the spares.