Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Does Your Muzzle Go When You Do A Reload,

The fact that the RO waited until after you were done and then pointed it out as a potential problem to look at indicates that it was handled pretty well. If he wanted to be a "Range Nazi" it would have been the last round you fired that day. in addition to the basics that others have mentioned such as the 4 basic gun handling rules, remember that a lot of times a shooter perception of what they are doing is drastically different then what is actually happening. I have given out many helpful safety tips after a shooter has ran a stage I was SO/ROing. I have also had my fair share of them from not just the RO but experienced shooters who were on squaded with me. Be open minded and listen to what is being said. Take a closer look at it when you are practicing and learn from the experience. That is what makes us all better and safer shooters.

Neal

The fact that the RO waited until after you were done and then pointed it out as a potential problem to look at indicates that it was handled pretty well. If he wanted to be a "Range Nazi" it would have been the last round you fired that day. in addition to the basics that others have mentioned such as the 4 basic gun handling rules, remember that a lot of times a shooter perception of what they are doing is drastically different then what is actually happening. I have given out many helpful safety tips after a shooter has ran a stage I was SO/ROing. I have also had my fair share of them from not just the RO but experienced shooters who were on squaded with me. Be open minded and listen to what is being said. Take a closer look at it when you are practicing and learn from the experience. That is what makes us all better and safer shooters.

Neal

+1 and...

The RO may really be a "nazi", that is a rare exception in my experience, but if he was you may want to disregard my comments. Since there is a question then you may be somewhat like me. While appreciating a constructive critc, sometimes I do let it aggravate me.

More and more I wind up being an RO at local matches, it is not something I enjoy doing, but some one has to.

When you RO, you sometimes are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

1. You pay the same to shoot as everybody else.

2. You have a responsibilty for the safety and running of the stage.

3. You have less time to prepare for the stage.

4. You have less time to pick up your brass.

5. You have less time to relax between stages.

6. You have less time to visit with other shooters

7. If there is an accident you may be sued, even if you did everything right.

8.You may be second guessing what you did for the rest of your life even if you did everything you were supposed to.

9. You may have to take grief and abuse because you DQ'd somebody who is not happy about you doing your job.

10. You try to help a shooter by pointing out something after the course of fire, even though it may not be a rule violation, "You" think it is potentialy unsafe or may be close to a rules violation and the shooter may not even be aware that he is doing it. If made aware of it he might want to modify it. For all your efforts to do a good job, for all your efforts to help people, you might get called a "nazi" by people you don't even know and be raked over the coals in absentia on web sites.

Just my two cents.

Edited by CenTX

Well said, I agree. Remember, this is a volunteer sport. Everyone that is out there ROing is getting nothing for doing it. At least not in any of the clubs I have shot with. Personally, I do it to give back to the sport. I'm sure everyone has their own reasons for doing it but giving back is a good reason. Along with the basic fact that we wouldn't have a match if a handful of people didn't step up to the plate. Instead of getting upset at these people for doing what they though was right, how about a nice thank you once in a while. It would go a long way.

Neal

Sounds like this thread has covered plenty of perspectives. And, it has the potential to turn into a debate, so I am going to close it for now. PM me if you have something constructive that you'd like to add to this thread.

Closed.