Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home Wiring / Electrical Question

Noticed our local gym was selling some of their older commercial exercise equipment, and I bought one of their treadmills.

What I didn't notice -- the plug has one prong turned sideway: I guess this means 20amp??

Went to Home Depot expecting to find some kind of female/male adapter so I could just use any old outlet in my house, but no luck. I did purchase a 20amp outlet, and figured I could just remove the plate on a current outlet, and swap it out.

Now I'm wondering how good an idea this is....I know nothin' bout no electrical stuff. I mean, I can flip the breaker, and swap out outlets, but....

Oh -- I notice the treadmill has a plate that says: "120 VAC 16 amp"

Edited by boo radley

Noticed our local gym was selling some of their older commercial exercise equipment, and I bought one of their treadmills.

What I didn't notice -- the plug has one prong turned sideway: I guess this means 20amp??

Went to Home Depot expecting to find some kind of female/male adapter so I could just use any old outlet in my house, but no luck. I did purchase a 20amp outlet, and figured I could just remove the plate on a current outlet, and swap it out.

Now I'm wondering how good an idea this is....I know nothin' bout no electrical stuff. I mean, I can flip the breaker, and swap out outlets, but....

Oh -- I notice the treadmill has a plate that says: "120 VAC 16 amp"

You should be ok just switching the outlet if you have any problem at all will be it may pop the breaker when it starts up.

Chances are you won't :D

There is a reason they went with a prong configuration that didn't allow it to be plugged into a "normal" circuit. Don't guess. Find out why. (search the treadmill company's website for tech data or give them a call)

That is the cheepest way to do, the prong is so that the tread mills will not get three or four units pluged into the same breaker circuit. = It is like a Micorwave or a dishwasher. It should be on is own breaker cuircit.

If you can put in a new dedicated line for it it would be better. If you have do it like you plan count how many apliances / outlets are on the the breaker you plan to put the tread mill on.= Like is your coumputer on it? do you have a freezer puged into the same breaker line?

In a worst case thing would be having a Feezer , a window A/C unit and your new tread mill all on the same breaker cuircit. it would make the wires hot and over load the breaker.

If is al you have on the bk curcit is a few lamps and a clock or raidio = You would be ok.

Do the math and add up the total load for the breaker with the new 16 amp tread mill

One option that is best is to purchase a new apliance cord for the tread mill with a standard plug end,= that way you can plug it in to any (good) curcit in your home or carage. The play will let you get to the wires on the tread mill and as all you will need is a screw drive and wire nuts. get a cord clamp too to secure the new cord to the tread mill

Edited by AlamoShooter

Thx all -- I'll probably have an electrician come out and just double-check things....

Man. Already am having to spend $100 on movers to carry this monster upstairs; don't dare make my friends suffer. This is turning into quite the deal. :/

Thx all -- I'll probably have an electrician come out and just double-check things....

Man. Already am having to spend $100 on movers to carry this monster upstairs; don't dare make my friends suffer. This is turning into quite the deal. :/

If it's a good machine and you use it, it will be worth the effort. (insert sweaty smiley here)

Good move on getting an electrician to look at it. There is a reason there is a 20 amp plug on it.

Good luck

dj