Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1/4" Drive, 20 - 200 In-lbs Torque Wrench...

EricW

Just for giggles, I picked one up today. I got the torque wrench, 3/8" adapter, and hex drive sockets for $35 out the door. I had to clamp the drive end in a vise and mess with it a bit to get the feel of how it kicked over at the proper torque setting, but it seems pretty good. I'm sure that the calibration isn't perfect, but I'll bet it's +/-10% and that's good enough for me. Comes in a spiffy plastic case that will hold an extra socket or two and the 3/8" adapter. The hex sockets are actually of surprisingly good quality. They're heat treated and fit tightly in the cap screws so they won't strip the cap screws out without some doing on your part.

I think the sale runs to the end of the month IIRC.

FWIW...

I just dropped $56 to repair my Snap-On 20-200 in/lb torque wrench. Granted it's 28 years old and it's the first time it's failed the annual calibration check. (FAA and work requirement.)

Harbor Freight has it's place here and there in my rollaway but I'll stick with Snap-On for what I use to make a living with. Yeah, Snap-On is expensive but you do get what you pay for.

OBTW: Several of our techs got their rollaways flooded from the hurricanes. The Snap-On tools just needed to be wiped up and were still usuable. Anything from Harbor Freight was a pile of rust and had to be junked. Mac and Matco was somewhere in between.

I don't know how the sale works. You may want to call and ask.

Hank,

If I was using a tool professionally, Harbor Freight would not be where I'd get it. But, I'm not setting up a gun shop and for the 5X a year (and that's probably high) that I would use a in-lbs torque wrench, this will work fine. It's certainly better than using my "calibrated" wrist.

Edited by EricW