Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Set-up And Target Engagement

Loves2Shoot

At the match today I saw a lot of people making poor choices of how to "get though" a course of fire. These non-shooting skills can really make a big difference in how long it takes you to get through a field course.

The first part of the clip is an experienced shooter shooting it like most of the shooters in the squad did. The last target engaged could also be engaged through a small port at 13 yard versus 8 yards or so as seen in the second part of the clip.

Watch the footwork.

Footwork

There's a lot to be noticed and learned between those two ;)

- smoothness of entry and exit to/from position

- unnecessary steps and sliding steps settling into position

- unnecessarily getting "deep" into a position, then getting "deep" into the next one, etc

- hesitation in firing a shot and commencing movement to next position

How much faster were you, anyway, Scott??? :D

A bit faster, but because I did less, and I made the shots.

I wanted to say something about the SS guy beating the open guys by a couple seconds on a stage where I only had 1 extra round in each set of mags, and a Texas star staring at me. But that is another post about keeping the brain together. I'm still learning from that run.

These non-shooting skills can really make a big difference in how long it takes you to get through a field course.

Yep, the shooting part (hitting what you aim at) is easy, and if broken down to split and transition times ONLY, there would not be a big diffrence in stage results for most.

Where I (and a few folks I shoot with) have learned to "open up some whoop arse" is getting into and out of positions, shooting on the move whenever possible on movement courses, and picking the quickest path to run through.

So how much "whoop ares" did you lay on em?