Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some Newbie Idpa Video

This was my second IDPA event and I'm very new at shooting so pls be kind. Just looking for a few tips. Gun is a .45acp 70 series Kimber Classic in Stainless

Stage 1

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9069983873255264966

Time: 24.89

Points down: 0

Penalties: 0

Stage 2 String 1

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-202267626767008465

Stage 2 String 2

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3934319624375991180

String 1 Time: 15.31

String 2 Time: 15.37

Points down: 7

Stage 3

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5847056600746835086

Time: 20.43

Points down: 9

Penalties: 5 (FTN)

Stage 4 String 1

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4506498658289854906

Stage 4 String 2

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7811047356531798601

String 1 Time: 16.36 (fumble on T&R)

String 2 Time: 11.77

Points down: 2

You are shooting pretty solid for your second match. In IDPA, most of where you are going to pick up time is on the movement stuff. Just looking at your stage one video, see how you draw and go to shoot the first target? You shift and shuffle to get on it, instead of just getting right to it, smoothly. Later in the stage you get a cover call, and have to shuffle back.

In IDPA, you dont get much of a walkthrough, so that makes things harder, but you really have to know exactly where you need to go, and then you are able to get there quickly. Its only your second match, so this stuff is probobly not what you should focus on yet, but it ultimatly is where you will pick up time.

Good for the first time out of the gate but there is too much wasted motion. As you have your walk through make a mental note of where each target is in relation to cover. In a couple of those videos you hit the cover and as you pie you look like you are searching for the target. If you know the first target is at 1 o'clock as you pie around cover than get your gun there aggressively. New shooters tend to pie a bit, then hesitate, pie a little more until you get to the target. Wasted time and movement.

Another thing I noticed in the second video is that after shooting from close retention you stopped on the way to cover to engage a target that seemed to be less than 10 yards down range. Practice making hits on a target like that while on the move. You cost yourself a couple seconds there.

Also I noticed that when you moved into position behind cover you started slowing down in advance of the spot. Learn to move into position aggressively yet under control. Look at the really good shooters and you will see them burning rubber moving into position and then hitting the breaks just in time to end up exactly where they want to be. No stutter stepping, no slowing down in advance. Just very efficient controlled movement. Put two cones in your back yard 20 feet apart to simulate the edges of cover. Then practice moving from one to the other as qucikly as possible while not overshooting the second one and maintaining control.

All in all you were better than 80% of the first time shooters that I have seen. Things come with time and a lot of practice. Good luck.

Ben: I've never really practiced leaning from around cover, so I'm still very conscious of my movement and of course, that makes me slow. I remember seeing one of the more experienced shooters look at the floor when moving to a new position, I guess so he knows where he can place his foot. Maybe I'll try to do that next time, which will eliminate the cover calls.

rubberneck: Stage 1 I definitely took too long to acquire the target through the window. As I got there and stuck the gun through the window I remember seeing the no shoot and hunting around to find the actual target. Later on in the day I found out that I don't need to pie through a window, since more than 50% of my body is covered anyway. So I guess next time I'll just run right to the middle, so everything is in full view.

On stage 3 I remember stopping pausing on my way back from P1 to P2, I think that's just a factor of me not having ever practised shooting on the move.

Before I read your post I was watching a video that Jake posted taking 2 shots, reloading, moving to another position and taking two more. I understand about the quick footwork than slam on the brakes.

Thanks for the tips guys.

On other thing I forgot is know where your reloads are going to happen. Since your running 8+1 know where in the COF you are going to go to slidelock. Once that 9th round goes down range there should be no hesitation on the reload. There seemed to be a couple times when you went to slide lock and it took a second or two for your brain to kick in.

This was my second IDPA event and I'm very new at shooting so pls be kind. Just looking for a few tips. Gun is a .45acp 70 series Kimber Classic in Stainless

OK, a few pointers. Generally, you did pretty well for your second match. I've seen more than a few people who have been shooting for years make all the same mistakes you made.

1. Know the stage. Do the best you can to run the stage in your mind as many times, and in as much detail, as you possibly can before actually shooting it. You will usually have plenty of time to memorize the stage before you shoot... pay attention to where targets are, where your reload should be, etc. Also, plan in exactly what the course asks you to do. For example, if it requires you to move to a particular position, or to shoot while moving, be aware of where you need to go and how to get there fastest. Make sure you know what you are supposed to do so you don't have to think about it while shooting.

2. Don't crowd cover. You should have about 6" clearance, at least, from the end of your muzzle to the nearest barricade, while firing. This will allow you to have a proper stance and be able to move from position to position without becoming entangled in barricades, etc.

3. Keep your shooting stance, as much as possible. I noticed that during a couple of your stages, you had one foot off the ground. Keep a stable shooting platform and your accuracy will increase.

4. Don't duck back behind cover while reloading. You don't have to (it ain't required by the rules). Keep your position behind cover just as if you were shooting, do your reload, continue firing. Ducking behind cover makes you lose sight of your target, and it takes time.

5. Have your gun up and ready to fire before you get to your shooting position. If you get to your shooting position and your weapon isn't ready, you cannot fire until you bring it up.. which takes time.

6. Shoot zeros. Take the time to see your front sight on the zero, and press the trigger. While moving, move fast enough to satisfy the SO, but slow enough to control your sights. Make it your goal to shoot as clean as you can. Accuracy counts a great deal in IDPA.

7. Keep an eye on the SO and what he is allowing when it comes to cover and other procedural points. Do what he allows, don't tear the envelope.

Hope this helps....

Andy C.

I'd like to consistently win the CDP division where I shoot (Central Ohio), but I know that's a long way off yet.

So I guess for now I'm just trying to stay safe, have fun and try to keep improving with every shot.

I wouldn't say it was a ways off. I think you look pretty darn good for being so new.

The things I noticed can be corrected with a ton of dry fire practice.

Practice the following:

RELOADS RELOADS RELOADS RELOADS RELOADS

This alone will save a ton of time. The rest of the game (shooting quicker) will come with time. The dryfire stuff you can do at home for FREE and it'll help your ability a ton.

It's good to have the goals you do. A positive mindset will cause you to go far! With consistent practice and performance, you'll get there before you know it. Then watch out 'kuz everyone will be gunning for you and asking YOU the questions on how you shoot so fast etc.... :D

• 5 years later...