Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot Glock In Steel Matches And Lb 1911 In Uspsa?

Exiledviking

I have been shooting our local Steel matches for the last 9 months and I have REALLY enjoyed it. Now I am thinking of trying the SS in USPSA with my Les Baer 1911.

Do you guys(and gals) think I am crazy to shoot 2 completely different platforms?

Edited by Exiledviking

For the last 8 months I've only shot and practiced with Glocks (G35 mostly, and some G34, but same frame as you know), and the last four of which I've been semi-disciplined and conscientious about regular dry-fire practice. When I draw, my sights are naturally aligned, or only require a micro-adjustment. I can close my eyes now, and see my familiar sight picture with the burning green fiber-optic dot.

This past weeked, decided to shoot my Kimber 1911 at a match for reasons not germane to this anecdote. :)

What I discovered was that when I shot my sights the stage went about as I'd expect. The problem was, on more than half the stages, or arrays, I simply wouldn't see the front sight, and lacked the visual patience needed to correct the sight picture.

(Then there's the reload issue, with magwell and magazine release button differences, too).

But I'm still a newish shooter, so consider the source. I also have problems in general with visual patience and control. As IMA45DV8 said, see the front sight. But don't expect it to necessarily *be* there, if you've burnt Glock ergonomics into your reptile brain.

Time some Bill Drills, and see for yourself. Can you get the times/hits equivalent?