Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

monopod techniques

ErikW

People say I should shoot prone off a 30-round magazine instead of off my elbows. What do you do with your weak hand? On the handguard? On the magazine? Mag well? On the ground, making a pocket for the magazine?

I tried monopod dry firing. It totally changes how the buttstock fits my shoulder and my cheek weld. It was pretty unstable, except when I got my weak hand on the handguard and pushed the magazine into the carpet.

Erik,

Holding the handguard and pushing down is the way I do it. It works pretty good. It's not as steady as a bipod, but that is not an option. If I'm shooting prone at less than 100 yards, I usually prefer to rest on the mag rather than using the bipod.

I had some problems doing this with Thermold mags in my DPMS rifle, they were touching the carrier.

I'm holding the handguard when shooting with a bipod as well, when I don't have to move to much sideways.

Even

Erik...I have a Knight monopod attached to a EGW full float tube on my 16in flat top.  Offhand, I shoot with with my middle and bottom two fingers on the monopod, my index finger pointing down the tube ala shotgun and thumb wrapped around tube.  For doorway and barricades (depending on stability of the prop for match shooting) I jam the monopod  but still try to use the index finger to acquire targets.  For prone, I use thumb and index finger to circle bottom of monopod, make fist and place palm on ground... regards Les

Les,

I think Erik is thinking of a Limited rifle.  Monopod is not legal in Limited.

However, I've been thinking about trying a monpod for Open rifle. Did you put a rail on your tube to mount the monopod on?

Even

When I use the mag as a monopod, I pretty much utilize my standard prone position except my left elbow goes out farther to the left to get the rifle lower.  My left hand is all the forward towards the end of the handguard.  Sometimes I cup the handguard with a relaxed grip with all my fingers, other times I cup with every finger except my index finger, which I use to point.  I usually cup with all the fingers.  Both my elbows remain on the ground.  The rifle is really on a tripod with 3 points of contact: magazine, left elbow, and right elbow.

I use Even's technique of holding my hand on top of the handguard when shooting off a bench but not when shooting prone.   I get better transitions if my hand is toward the end of the handguard rather than tucked in. I think holding down might be slightly steadier though.  When holding down, sometimes I can see my hand through the rear sight which really bugs me.  Try both!

FYI I learned the bench technique from Todd Salmon and love it!  You place the mag well all the way to the end of the bench and rest the whole handguard on the bench.  You then place your hand over the top of the handguard as Even mentioned.

Ahh, so you still use the elbows, I'll try it.

I figured out the handguard rest thing a while ago. It's the steadiest way for me to shoot insanely fast.

I heard Voigt teaches people to jam the front of the magwell against something for support.

Even... sorry, I wasn't thinking, as I shoot limited pistol and limited shotgun, with any scope on rifle...we shoot for lack of a better name "tactical" class around here... basically North Carolina rules... to answer your question... yes, installed a left over Weaver mount for a 10/22. the Knight grip came from a friend, and while not a perfect fit, works acceptably.. Jeff Cramblit sent me a short piece of Picatinny rail mount, but am looking for a longer piece of rail...I'm waiting for someone to make gunsmith length sections in Brownells... regards

Kelly,

I re-read my first post and realized that I wrote pushing instead of pulling.

Erik,

The way Kelly  describes is actually more or less the way I do it too, just explained a whole lot better.

Using the elbows is the key to success.

Even

More research on monopod technique.  The Canadian Army uses the monopod technique but they place their weak hand on the mag well.  This is a popular technique in inter-service matches.  I briefly tried it and found it to be quite steady but I thought that transitioning between targets was slower.  (FYI they rarely shoot multiple targets in inter-service and when they do it's nothing like USPSA/SOF/Myst.Mtn)

Thread drift : I also jam the mag well for suppor when shooting off tables etc.