Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

686 Firing Pin Spring Problems

dnelson

I've got a 686 with the spring under the firing pin. About every four years the spring breaks. Others I've contacted don't have this problem. Has anyone run into this problem and have a solution? Your input would be appreciated.

I've got a 686 with the spring under the firing pin. About every four years the spring breaks. Others I've contacted don't have this problem. Has anyone run into this problem and have a solution? Your input would be appreciated.

dnelson, Are we talking frame mounted firing pin or hammer mounted piring pin?

<_< CHANGE THE SPRING EVERY "three" YEARS. :lol::lol:

I'm sorry, with all the problems I'm having I JUST COULDN'T RESIST THIS ONE.

I'll be watching to see if you get a proper answer I can learn from. GOOD LUCK.

;)

dnelson, Are we talking frame mounted firing pin or hammer mounted piring pin?

Mod. 686-3 has a hammer mounted firing pin.

Thanks, Dan

<_< CHANGE THE SPRING EVERY "three" YEARS. :lol::lol:

I'm sorry, with all the problems I'm having I JUST COULDN'T RESIST THIS ONE.

I'll be watching to see if you get a proper answer I can learn from. GOOD LUCK.

;)

Changing it every three years sounds like the logical thing to do, but other I ask have been using their 686s for over a decade without a failure. I assume you've had the same problem. If the pin had a longer/deeper base to it, the spring probably wouldn't be needed. Just my thought.

Dan

Dan, I have changed some N frames springs. First I would take out all the internals of the revo and replace the hammer. With nothing to obstruct the hammer movement push it to the frame as if it would be firing. Does it return back when released? On my N frames I have tweaked the hammer nose so that any movement is minimal. To do this the hammer nose must be tilted up (or down). To tilt up you would need to peen (or add metal by welding a drop to it, but peening has more control for me) the bottom of the hammer nose so that it will rest against the hammer. You may have to take a little from the top side to allow it to tilt up but not always. It is tedious work and must take the hammer apart, but if you have changed these springs you're already aware of this. I hope this helps.

Dan, I have changed some N frames springs. First I would take out all the internals of the revo and replace the hammer. With nothing to obstruct the hammer movement push it to the frame as if it would be firing. Does it return back when released? On my N frames I have tweaked the hammer nose so that any movement is minimal. To do this the hammer nose must be tilted up (or down). To tilt up you would need to peen (or add metal by welding a drop to it, but peening has more control for me) the bottom of the hammer nose so that it will rest against the hammer. You may have to take a little from the top side to allow it to tilt up but not always. It is tedious work and must take the hammer apart, but if you have changed these springs you're already aware of this. I hope this helps.

[/quote

Thanks for the input, this cure may be beyond my capability but I'll print, save it and hope someone else comes up with an easier fix.

Dan