Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooter

Ed K

Hey all. It's been a while.

My girlfriend finally wants to shoot IPSC. What to start her off with? She has small hands. My first impression is a Glock.

1. Do I go with a Glock?

2. If so, a 9mm and start her off in production?

3. If not, a 40 in Lim-10.

She's a natural, but has weak wrists.

Any ideas???????

Hey all. It's been a while.

My girlfriend finally wants to shoot IPSC. What to start her off with? She has small hands. My first impression is a Glock.

1. Do I go with a Glock?

2. If so, a 9mm and start her off in production?

3. If not, a 40 in Lim-10.

She's a natural, but has weak wrists.

Any ideas???????

A 9mm would be perfect. This is a good reason to go to the gunstore (like we really need a reason). :D Pick a big one with lots of different choices. Find the gun that fits her hand.

Any good 9mm, whatever fits her hand & is comfortable. Ammo is cheap if you don't reload. High cap mags are also reasonable for Glocks, P-9's, Sigs. Limited minor maybe a good place to start, although she would give up points on non-A hits. more bullets, less reloads is always better for new shooters. It's all about learning the shooting game & getting A's.

Ammo and springing play a big role in how comfortable a gun is to shoot. If you're set on a 9mm, have her try 147grain instead of 115 or 124 grain. If you reload, make 'em soft with a powder that burns a while behind the 147's (look at the reloading forum for recommended powders). Better still if you reload, buy a .40 (the grip size is the same between a 34 and 35 on a Glock) and make minor loads. A heavier bullet imparts less kinetic energy on a shooter as it isn't moving as fast at the same power factor (think bawoom instead of SNAP). That way if she wants to play somewhere outside of production later, she can and shoot major.

Edited by carinab

The other thing to keep in mind, besides the grip, is the trigger pull (double action if shooting Production). The women that shoot at our club, and shoot Production, have more of a problem with the double action trigger pull than the recoil. A few of them have moved to Limited and Limited-10 just to not have to deal with the DA trigger. When you go to the store shopping, make sure she checks the DA trigger pull.

Do you know how lucky you are to have found a girlfriend that wants to try this. The ladies at our club are pretty good, and I'm not ashamed to admit that they have kicked my butt a few times, but thats another story. They sure do have a good time doing it.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Steve