Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wst Load Data?

Z-man

I'm trying to find load data for Winchester Super Target. I'm loading 124gr. hp in 9mm for minor pf. I couldn't find anything on Win.'s site or my loading book. If anyone has a pet load for WST or else knows where I might find some reliable load data, I'd appreciate it.

I had someone tell me that there was a load listed in a Nosler manual. I was never able to find it.

I made up my own load and have had a lot of success with it. I use 4.7 grains behind a 125 gr HAP and a Sierra 115 gr. Velocity with the 125 is around 1000. The 115 goes about 1050. One thing that I have found is that WST gets hotter the colder it gets. It also slows down when it's hot. There are a bunch of us using this load to shoot Action Pistol. Last August we had a match and some of the shooters left their ammo on a black tailgate in the sun. Their guns would not run.

Kevin

I have some light target loads for WST, if you work up to about 4.0gr with a Lead 125gr you will get some good accuracy.

Powder Puff Loads first. 125gr Zero JHP

3.3gr WST = 850fps, dirty and a light recoil spring

4.0gr WST = 1040fps, worked fine.

125gr CN Lead

3.3gr WST = 925fps

4.0gr WST = 1060fps.

Can't remember the exact load lengths but would expect them to be 1.150" at maximum.

Winchester list only WSF or 231. Hodgdon only list same.

Edited by gm iprod

One of the moderators at CZ Forum uses WST with 124gr Berry's bullets. Check his loads in the Ammunition and Reloading section. I used 4.4 to 4.5 gr. WST under some bulk Winchester 124gr. FMJ and go about 1040 fps with Winchester cases and WSP primers.

Hopefully Hodgdon will provide more useful load data for WST.

Chris

Some guys at the local range have used WST with 4.5 gr. as well (under 124gr) and said it burn pretty clean. Thanks for all the help. Anyone using 147gr. under WST?

harmongreer, I'm starting out with 124 gr hp and about 4.5 gr. of WST, but I was wondering what is wrong with the wst and 147's in 9mm? Just too high of pressure? I have some 147's around, but I'll avoid them in the meantime.

8ring, what OAL are you loading those 124's to?

I alway load my 9mms fairly long even though my CZ has short throats. For 124gr FMJ the OAL is between 1.150" and 1.155". I make a dummy round and see if it will drop into the chamber without touching the rifling.

Chris

:blink:

the rounds auto-deprime before you make the PF(they did this in a shooting buddies G17)

that being said, i loaded some 125 grain masterblaster black bullets with 4.2 grains of WST and got the occasional stovepipe with a storm lake barrel and 15 lb recoil spring in my g34. i ran it up to 4.5 grains and the gun runs fine.

no chrono data, but i feel its about 1150 fps...still feels softer than the CCI blazer or Win Whitebox 115s.

even in the storm lake barrel i got serious leading with titegroup and CLAYS. I think ill try the Accurate Arms Number 5 next for the black bullets...i think the grittiness of the powder kinda scrubs the barrel clean.

Harmon

OK, this is going sound patronising.

If 4 grains makes minor pf and is moderatly high pressures, what the f$%& are we pissing around with 4.5 grains??????

You won't ever make major for more than two or three rounds with WST so just get the gun going, safely, accurately and in ONE operating piece.

Harmon, do you measure you velocity on a feelograph or a feelometer??????:)

Edited by gm iprod