Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Pistol Dies ?

I use a Dillon 550 to load 40S&W with the lee 4 die carbide set. I seat and crimp on separate stages, FCD is in the final stage.

I'm looking for 45 acp and 38 super dies, again want to seat and crimp on separate stages. Is there anything better than Lee carbide dies ?

Is 38 Super taper or roll crimp ?

Thanks

lr

Normaly ... a roll crimp is used in a Cannelure= the ring on most of the revolver bullets.

the Auto / most autos head space on the rim... so if you put a roll crimp it would not let it head space as well. / it could go too far into the barrel.

probably not but mayby

I like the way the way the RCBS seating die adjust, but Iike the Dillion size die with the big mouth. The new Dillion Crimp die is easy to clean and the Seating die is too

Try a Redding Competition Seating Die and a Profile Crimp die. The absolute best handgun dies made.

I still use a bunch of Lee dies and I have never had a problem with them, but as I can I am replacing ALL of them except the U-dies with Reddings.

I was keen to try a set of Redding dies, but the 3 dies set has;

sizer, expander, seat / crimp die.

With the Dillon 550 I don't need the expander die, I want to seat and crimp on separate stages which means buying the dies individually. The Redding 3 die titanium pro series set does not have the expander die, but has a separate set and crimp.

Problem is they are expensive, anyone any experience of them ?

Thanks

lr