Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ken's Corner

Clay1

While it is a favorite past time to bash IDPA, (at times one that I have enjoyed too) I wanted to take a second and comment on Ken's corner in the recent TJ.

To borrow a phrase from my overseas friends in the UK, I believe the article is "Spot On". He talks about new shooters and common mistakes. One is the slow draw that Matt Burkett and Brian have also addressed. He gets to the punch line that the type of sight you have in comparison to how you pull the trigger makes little difference. The real secret is to release the shot while the sights are on target - how hard can that be? B)

He also addresses the concept that a trigger pull becomes much less useful as it approaches 2 times the weight of the gun itself.

I guess that my point of the post was that while not having any great moments of enlightenment while reading this particular piece, I still found the information solid and liked the article in a sea of articles in the last year that seemed out of place in the TJ to me. Even if it was a basic point or a rather simplistic short piece it fit what my perception is of the kinds of articles that one should find in such a publication as this. For that I am grateful.

Rick

While it is a favorite past time to bash IDPA, (at times one that I have enjoyed too) I wanted to take a second and comment on Ken's corner in the recent TJ.

To borrow a phrase from my overseas friends in the UK, I believe the article is "Spot On". He talks about new shooters and common mistakes. One is the slow draw that Matt Burkett and Brian have also addressed. He gets to the punch line that the type of sight you have in comparison to how you pull the trigger makes little difference. The real secret is to release the shot while the sights are on target - how hard can that be? B)

He also addresses the concept that a trigger pull becomes much less useful as it approaches 2 times the weight of the gun itself.

I guess that my point of the post was that while not having any great moments of enlightenment while reading this particular piece, I still found the information solid and liked the article in a sea of articles in the last year that seemed out of place in the TJ to me. Even if it was a basic point or a rather simplistic short piece it fit what my perception is of the kinds of articles that one should find in such a publication as this. For that I am grateful.

Rick

Why am I always last to get my Journal?

pat

When I trained with Matt Burkett about a year ago, he pointed out that a light trigger pull is a great advantage, especially as distance increases. As Matt put it, "It's just really not to pull the gun off target when the amount of energy you're applying to fire the gun is less than the weight of the gun."

I guess that my point of the post was that while not having any great moments of enlightenment while reading this particular piece, I still found the information solid and liked the article in a sea of articles in the last year that seemed out of place in the TJ to me.

The thing is, the Tactical Journal doesn't pay money, which means professionals don't write for it. It relies solely on free member submissions; basically it has to run whatever it gets, no matter the quality or lack thereof.

"The thing is, the Tactical Journal doesn't pay money, which means professionals don't write for it. It relies solely on free member submissions; basically it has to run whatever it gets, no matter the quality or lack thereof."

I know Duane, that's why they should take some of that money that I send them and give it to guys like you to write for them. We would all be happier (except Billy of course).

Oh, to be king for a day.

Rick

I know Duane, that's why they should take some of that money that I send them and give it to guys like you to write for them.

:D

I thought that would make you smile. In all reality they should be paying someone to put something worth while in that publication. It is nicely done as far as the paper used and the color printing etc. I was reading through it again tonight at work and really liked how they use a larger font. I liked it because my old eyes can see it. IDPA likes it because less words fill up some of that paper in the magazine because they don't have much to actually say. ;)

Now having said the above, please remember that I did send them money to renew my membership and I am a card carrying IDPA member. Truth is that I shoot 10 USPSA matches to one IDPA match, but hey they still get money from me so I can have an opinion on this. Also bluntly I feel that the current issues is better than the last 6 months all put together, that's not saying much but it is a move in the right direction. :lol: