Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well At Least I Didn't Shoot Anyone !

bruce282

Second time shooting my new CZ40B in L10. I had bought 5 additional 12 round magazines and was ready to go. Brought 75 rounds of CCI Blazer and 50 of Wolf, both .40S&W 180gr TMJ. I was testing these two brands to see how they ran in my CZ. I've been shooting for about 6 months, and after the 1st stage I was happy with the gun and the way I was shooting it.

2nd stage was 6 classic target through 1 port and 2 additional through a second port. Did my LAMR and took off at the beep to the free fire zone. Got 7 rounds off and then had a FTF. Did the tap, rack drill but the slide is still hung up. I tilted the gun and saw the round was nose down and the slide was hitting the back of the round. Dropped the mag out, the slide goes forward, slam a new magazine in, aim and click...Tap, rack (since there was no round in chamber), the slide slams forward loading the top round into the chamber, and at the same instant that I break the shot, the base plate of the magazine go flying out the bottom of the gun quickly foloowed by the spring, follower, and 9 rounds of Wolf .40. I drop whats left of the magazine, I actually had to pull it out of the grip, gently inserted my last loaded magazine, and blast through the remander of the stage. I wondered wht the RO told me IIIIIIFFFFFFF you are finished......In all the excitement I forgot to engage 2 of the targets. Oh well, live and learn as one of the M class shooters told me.

Bruce

It will be funny soon enough. Live and learn is all you can do. Some sort of mayhem is CONSTANTLY cruising the match looking for someone to land on, each of us gets a turn sooner or later. Hopefully your next turn comes up much later and ends as well as this time.

that happens to all of us sooner or later...

chaos...just random unexplainable fits of chaos.....

good lessons to check over your gear and to wring things out in practice..working to bulletproof you gear against such random acts by minimizing the possibilities.

It will be funny soon enough. Live and learn is all you can do. Some sort of mayhem is CONSTANTLY cruising the match looking for someone to land on, each of us gets a turn sooner or later. Hopefully your next turn comes up much later and ends as well as this time.

Funny soon enough? -it was funny as hell at the time & seemed like the guy most amused was Bruce!

You are a good sport Bruce and I think you did a great job of sticking with it despite the amazing exploding magazine debacle (FYI - Bruce never let up and cleared the gun as fast as possible under the circumstances).

I know it must be frustrating. However, this was just our humble indoor (4 stages in ONE bay - 36 ft wide) and the out-door season has not started yet; think of last night as "early spring training" - that's all. You'll get it squared away soon I am sure. I think you shot very well on the remaining stages.

BTW - the basepads I am useing are CZ brand rubber coated steel. They are factory issue on several models of CZ that are Production approved; thus they can be used on your Production CZ-40 (though they must each be fit to the mag). I think that the old plastic basepads that came with your gun were the cause. I would discard them.

D.

I've had some Glock +2 baseplates cause some speed unloads before. Each time I was worried I'd had a kaboom though (often mag entrails pop out of the mag during a kB) so I paused a few seconds to inspect the pistol before moving on with my debacle. Now I know that Glock +2s have a long history of being somewhat untrustworthy so I don't use them.

Live and learn is right, but how can you not smile when you look back on those kinds of things?