Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Recoil Spring For 1911 Carry?

homeinvader

I am WAY not an expert on springing your gun, but I have always kinda follwed the "heavy load, heavy spring" rule. #16.5 in a carry gun, esp a 5" should be fine.

I use a a 11-12 pounder in competition .40 / .45's but some folks go even lighter.

Lighter spring seems to make the gun run flatter, but heavier can "force" things to run.

A good way to test out a setup is to put in a new shokbuff with a proper length spring and then fire 50 rounds. Then field strip and inspect the shokbuff. If the spring can keep the recoil spring plug from slicing up the shokbuff in 50 rounds then it is enough for carry. I don't know many that carry more than 50 rounds at a time.

If you want to shoot lots of a given load with a given spring then do the same test with more rounds.

BTW, the 16lb spring was made for shooting thousands of rounds of the standard 230gr at 850fps load and probably has some over design tolerances built in. Hotter loads may require a stronger spring. The 18lb spring is pretty popular with folks who shoot a lot of hot defense ammo.