Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For Lead Free Ammo...

bw31

The local range that I shoot at has an agreement with the county government that all ammo shot there has to be lead free. That means lead free primers and FMJ bullets.

They sell Fiocchi .40S&W for 11$ per 50 rnds.

I know it would be cheaper for me to reload my own lead free, but I dont have the space (I live in an apartment).

Anyone know where to buy factory lead free .40 S&W cheaper than that?

Any help is appreciated, as always!

I don't really understand that restriction. FMJ bullets have an exposed lead base that vaporizes whether or not you use a lead free primer. Even CMJ (complete metal jackets) burst open on the back wall or steel targets and make lead dust.

The only true lead free ammo is a solid copper or frangible bullet made out of sintered copper with lead free primers.

But it is a pain to have to pay a premium to shoot a certain type of bullet.

FWIW

dj

The range is located in one of the most liberal parts of the state.

I would guess that the County in question thought they had put an insurmountable hurdle in the path of this gun range's opening by requireing it to operate only with "lead free ammo". The range got the last laugh & opened anyway. Unfortunately, they are stuck with the county requirement to only use ammo that they sell on the premises requirement.

The Sig Arms Academy is run under actual lead free ammo restrictions; the primers are lead free as are the bullets (the latter being sintered copper).

Edited by Carlos