Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Vcomp With A 325pd Cylinder.

foosball

Hi all,

New and still mostly lurking but I'm learning a bunch.

I was wondering it anyone has swaped out the TI cylinder for the Vcomp unfluted and found an advantage if you did.

Would you have to do anything but swap them out to try it? I believe they are the same timeing....

Anyway, First shoot for me on Saturday. My only experience is prior Law enforcement and a love for handguns. :o

Jeff

Hi all,

I was wondering it anyone has swaped out the TI cylinder for the Vcomp unfluted and found an advantage if you did.

Would you have to do anything but swap them out to try it? I believe they are the same timeing....

Anyway, First shoot for me on Saturday. My only experience is prior Law enforcement and a love for handguns. :o

Jeff

I have not heard of a 625 Vcomp, I have heard of a 627 V-comp.

I have put the 325pd cylinders in a couple of 625's. It can be done. But the 625 and 627's are very different animals.

Are you sure you aren't thinking about putting a 327 cylinder into a 627?

Hi all,

Jeff

I have put the 325pd cylinders in a couple of 625's. It can be done. But the 625 and 627's are very different animals.

Well, I have a 6 shot 625 V-comp 45 acp from the Performance Center and thinking about getting a 627 V-comp so that I can switch better guns and have the same feel..... The guns look similar but the 625 V-comp has an unfluted cylinder.

I would think that since both guns are N frame, 6 shot 45 acp with moon clips, they might be interchangable.

Jeff

Edited by foosball

Hi all,

Jeff

Well, I have a 6 shot 625 V-comp 45 acp from the Performance Center and thinking about getting a 627 V-comp so that I can switch better guns and have the same feel..... The guns look similar but the 625 V-comp has an unfluted cylinder.

I would think that since both guns are N frame, 6 shot 45 acp with moon clips, they might be interchangable.

Jeff

The 627 V-comp is a 357mag/38 Special gun in 8 shot as far as I knew it.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegory_rn=15714

I'm porbably not understanding something...... :huh:

I believe Smith made the Vcomp in 627 and 625 models as well.

My 625 V-comp is a 6 shot 45 acp with moon clip with the same underlug as the 627 V-comp and has interchangable compensator to non-compensated front end. It's a bit heavier than the other 625 like th JM but it is a great gun.

I'm sur ther are those out there that have both. Maybe they can shed some light. Anyway, I was just thinking about swapping out the cylinders to see if they line up right. I really don't want to blow anything up or reinvent the wheel if someone has already done.

How was the swap with the regular 625 and the 325 pd swap out. See any difference?

Jeff

My 625 V-comp is a 6 shot 45 acp with moon clip with the same underlug as the 627 V-comp and has interchangable compensator to non-compensated front end. It's a bit heavier than the other 625 like th JM but it is a great gun.

I'm sur ther are those out there that have both. Maybe they can shed some light. Anyway, I was just thinking about swapping out the cylinders to see if they line up right. I really don't want to blow anything up or reinvent the wheel if someone has already done.

How was the swap with the regular 625 and the 325 pd swap out. See any difference?

Jeff

here's a pic

post-7408-1139587165_thumb.jpg

Jeff

It was a fairly straightforward swap with my two 625-8's. I put my old stars into the new cylinders and with a little fitting (for gaps and clearances) I was off to the races.

Yes there is a big difference, that is because the 325pd cylinder weighs only about 60% of the steel 625 cylinder. If your cylinder is already Ti you probably won't see as much of an improvement due only to the fluting.

On the other hand, if your PC625 has an unfluted steel cylinder (I just don't know the details on that gun) it'll make you want to go slap someone at S&W for not doing it sooner.

A new cylinder is about the third or fourth modification I would make to the gun. First you'll want to change/modify springs, then smooth out the moving internals, then think about better sights, then maybe a different grip, etc, while putting many rounds down range.

If you're still smitten with the revolver bug you can probably justify the expense of a new cylinder. They are a little spendy....

besides the cost factor, is there a downside to putting the TI cylinder in a 625Vcomp? and will S&W sell just the cylinder to an end user?

michaels

I'm going to swap out the TI cylinder on my 325pd and try it before I find a source and buy another one. I don't know how I would use the unfulted cylinder in my 325 pd because it would defeat the idea of the 325 pd. but hopefully I will find out if it's worth itthe extra expenses. I have already had a trigger job, longer firing pin, hammer bob done and I'm now waiting for my fiber opitic front sight conversion back from Pinnacle-Guns.com. I already have Hogue wood grips that I like but I would like to change over to the Big Butt Hogue when I see one that I like. I hope it will ultimately be the best revo I have. I love 45 acp, both bottom feeders and revo's.

I am contemplating getting a 627 V-comp to shot Icore but as I said, I'm just getting into the competition shooting aspect of the sport and have to browseto see what everyone else has and their likes and dislikes.

I do like nice things that work right. B)

Jeff

Edited by foosball

besides the cost factor, is there a downside to putting the TI cylinder in a 625Vcomp? and will S&W sell just the cylinder to an end user?

michaels

I'm going to swap out the TI cylinder on my 325pd and try it before I find a source and buy another one. I don't know how I would use the unfulted cylinder in my 325 pd because it would defeat the idea of the 325 pd. but hopefully I will find out if it's worth itthe extra expenses. I have already had a trigger job, longer firing pin, hammer bob done and I'm now waiting for my fiber opitic front sight conversion back from Pinnacle-Guns.com. I already have Hogue wood grips that I like but I would like to change over to the Big Butt Hogue when I see one that I like. I hope it will ultimately be the best revo I have. I love 45 acp, both bottom feeders and revo's.

I am contemplating getting a 627 V-comp to shot Icore but as I said, I'm just getting into the competition shooting aspect of the sport and have to browseto see what everyone else has and their likes and dislikes.

Jeff

Michaels,

So far I haven't found the downsides with the Ti cylinder. I'm probably somewhere past 4k rounds through the two I own with about 3k through my "A" gun. I bought them from S&W as replacement parts, but reports are that you may not be permitted to buy one depending on who you get on the phone. It is apparently listed as a "Factory Only" install piece on some of their references.

Jeff,

If you already own a 325pd then it wouldn't take a minute to test the swap. I would be surprised, pleased-but surprised, to find you could just put one cylinder assembly in the 625 from the 325. I know if it was mine I would try it though.

Chances are that the hand-to-star fittings will be different enough that they won't match, so be very careful not to damage either one. If you have to swap stars remember that the ejector rod threads are left-handed...

I also had to fit the length of the crane to the Ti cylinders. They appear to have somewhat different internal lengths. So be careful on that first closing; it may be too long. If it's not too long, check the cylinder to barrel gap, it may be too small.

If the lengths are right, and the star and hand match, go buy a lottery ticket RIGHT NOW!!

One poster here told the story that he cannabilized a 325pd then sold it with the SS cylinder in it. His testimony was that it shot better because (in his opinion) the 325 is really too light for full power defense loads.

The fellow that bought it didn't care. :blink:

Part Number 294980000, TI cylinder...

finally got a parts guy who would sell me one....(Jeff, he's the same guy that sold me the barrel for the 627Vcomp, nobody else would)....

in stock and on it's way...this should be fun...

mike sousa

I am the cannibal - I bought a 325 and swapped cylinders with my 625 V-Comp in order to get a Ti cyl. That was before S&W sold the TI cylinders by themselves, or so they told me so. The 325 with the unfluted stainless steel cyl was great to shoot!! If I had the $ and (even more so) the need I would have kept it. It was IMHO perfect. Still very light for carry but the steel cylinder added just enough weight to make shooting defense ammo not too unpleasant. The action was - shamefull. I just got my 66 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel back from Apex (Randy Lee) and it has a buttery smooth 6 lb action which sets off everything I put in it.

Going from the unfluted cyl in the 625 V-Comp to the Ti was amazing. The lack of torque makes it very worth while in my opinion. (The 4.5 lb or so action doesn't hurt either). Good luck in your pruchases. Chris

michaels

Jeff

I am the cannibal - I bought a 325 and swapped cylinders with my 625 V-Comp in order to get a Ti cyl. That was before S&W sold the TI cylinders by themselves, or so they told me so. The 325 with the unfluted stainless steel cyl was great to shoot!! If I had the $ and (even more so) the need I would have kept it. It was IMHO perfect. Still very light for carry but the steel cylinder added just enough weight to make shooting defense ammo not too unpleasant. The action was - shamefull. I just got my 66 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel back from Apex (Randy Lee) and it has a buttery smooth 6 lb action which sets off everything I put in it.

Going from the unfluted cyl in the 625 V-Comp to the Ti was amazing. The lack of torque makes it very worth while in my opinion. (The 4.5 lb or so action doesn't hurt either). Good luck in your pruchases. Chris

michaels

Jeff

And a Fine Young Cannibal you are!

Wait a minute, I think I just had an 80's flashback or something :ph34r:

I am getting excited as I read.

I'll try and swap them out this weekend. I think I'll buy a lottery ticket before I do. I got the front sight back from Pnnical and tested the gun today. After the triggar job and the new front sight, I found that my gun now doesn't like Winchester primers....... Now I have to do a lot of bottom feeder shooting to get more brass so I can put in the 5000 Federal primers I just ordered.

Oh well, such is life.. Thanks guys.

Jeff

Edited by foosball

• 2 weeks later...

Well the TI cylinder arrived today....first thing to do was put them on the scale and the TI weighs 0.30 and the steel unfluted tips the scale at 0.56...some difference...now to get it chamferd and then installed...

this should be fun...

michaels

Well the TI cylinder arrived today....first thing to do was put them on the scale and the TI weighs 0.30 and the steel unfluted tips the scale at 0.56...some difference...now to get it chamferd and then installed...

this should be fun...

michaels

What is the unit of weight measurement?

I'm GUESSING his "Unit of Measurement" is Pounds...when I did my "Disassemble and Weigh" back in late October of '05, I found that the steel cylinder from my 625-2 weighed 8.4 ounces and the Ti cylinder from my 325 "PD" weighed 5.0 ounces...both were weighed WITH extractor star, extractor rod, etc., present--in other words, the COMPLETE cylinder assembly...HTH....mikey357

Edited by mikey357

I'm GUESSING his "Unit of Measurement" is Pounds...when I did my "Disassemble and Weigh" back in late October of '05, I found that the steel cylinder from my 625-2 weighed 8.4 ounces and the Ti cylinder from my 325 "PD" weighed 5.0 ounces...both were weighed WITH extractor star, extractor rod, etc., present--in other words, the COMPLETE cylinder assembly...HTH....mikey357

That would make sense. I was interested to see what the un-fluted cylinder weighed compared to the fluted Ti. This looks like a weight reduction somewhere in excess of 46% if I've done my math correctly (1-(.30/.56)). That's a bigger bang for the buck than those of us swapping out the standard fluted SS piece.

He oughta tear up the track when he gets it together. B)

this should be fun...

michaels

What is the unit of weight measurement?

sorry for the delay in posting the info...my scale is worth more that some of my guns and the operating instructions are in everything but english...it's not like plunk it down and look at a readout, you have to wait 10 seconds for the microprocesser to run a diangostic program and then all the damn buttons...I should'a just used the scale at the post office...

0.56 = 8.96 oz

0.30 = 4.8 oz

of course I forgot to order the push rod and i want to keep the old cylinder for practice, so it's off to S&W again and try to get the same guy I got the cylinder from. Anybody think of any other parts that should be ordered with this?

thanks,

mike sousa

WE NEED PICTURES!!! Pictures of ALL these "Roundguns" with the Ti cylinders!!! Pictures, PLEASE!!!...now, that wasn't TOO "Over the Top", was it? WAS IT??? :lol: ....mikey357

I posted....

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...ic=26880&st=350

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...opic=31250&st=0

I probably need to do some new ones to show off my Carmonized hammer on the "A" gun and some different grips...but I don't think that's your main interest.

WE NEED PICTURES!!! Pictures of ALL these "Roundguns" with the Ti cylinders!!! Pictures, PLEASE!!!...now, that wasn't TOO "Over the Top", was it? WAS IT??? :lol: ....mikey357

Here it is here. You did guess correctly Mikey - it was Marianne. Quite and artist.

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album/00...03/IMG_1761.JPG

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album/00...03/IMG_1769.JPG

Edited by festus1