Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gssf Unlimited Gun

Jager1147

I'd like to build a gun for GSSF Unlimited Master. I have a G34 that I really don't have a use for since I have a G35 for Limited IPSC or Competition category in GSSF. My main question is which optic would be better, the Docter or the C-More? Second question, is it me or does the .40 have a more manageable recoil? Shooting factory 180's S&B in .40 seems about the same as my light 9mm handloads - 115's over 5.0 HP-38. If a .40 has less recoil I don't know if I'll build the GSSF gun with the G34. Any input from GSSF guys would be appreciated.

9mm definitely over the .40 - Much less recoil to deal with. If you are finding the .40 softer than your 9mm reloads, I would suggest trying a different 9 recipe. 147 grain bullets with just enough powder to spill the brass out the side of the gun.

I'm not a big fan of Dots, but if I was going to get one it would be the Doctor. It mounts right to the slide, and you don't have some big rail to hold a C-more that ends up getting brass caught in it.

Just my $0.02

Jager

Possible your ears are telling you the 9mm kicks more. Factory 115gr 9mm is a supersonic bullet, most 40cal loads are subsonic which is a lot less noise. Wear plugs & muffs & shoot both pistols outdoors and see if that's it.

As suggested the 147's at less than 1000fps will be nice & soft & very quiet to shoot.

Have a brass magwell on the .40, and an alum. one on the 9mm. I normally shoot open, so the blast not a problem. But I notice that the G34 seems to porpoise when I shoot - in other words the muzzle rises in recoil, then the grip rises so that the whole gun has raised up above my sight plane. The G35 maybe with the brass magwell kicks a little more but tracks much better, sights return much better. I don't know, I also have new style trugrip on the 35 and old style on the 34. I think i answered my own question :huh: