Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Stars...whos And Why?

Brazos

I'd like some feedback on who you all thinks makes the best Texas Star, and why its the best.

Which do you use at your club and what do you feel are its stengths and weaknesses?

Thanks,

B

Edited by Brazos

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know about who makes the best as I have only one brand (MGM). We have three of them in the family and they have all held up to the abuse of three guns very well. One nice feature is they can be lubed easily to keep em spinning fast.

Cody

At our club we have one of the original Texas Stars. So far it has held up quite well. We do have the spares kit, but have not had to break it out yet.

I have seen a couple others that have some nice features, but personally I like the idea of supporting the originator, unless he has given his blessing on a a design to be used by others. If we keep taking other peoples designs without compensation, we may see a derth of new designs comming out.

This would apply to locally built, not for profit designs as well as for profit builders.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of the real Texas Stars and have no complaints. I have standard plates, a set of .22 LR plates, and had a set or AR500 plates made to shoot it with AR's too. I believe that Mike Gibson asked about building them before he started and got a thumbs up. The MGM design is a little different anyway, but kudos to Mike for being a standup guy.

I think all of the MGM ones have AR500 skins, so if you plan to shoot it with a rifle that would be a consideration. Terry uses 5/16" AR400 for his standard plates and .223 rounds will zip right through them.