Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems With Cast Bullets Lube

Glock9

I recently loaded some 200gr lead cast bullets for the first time and noticed that many had excess lube lube around the neck of the case. (I'm talking about the band of lube that is on a cast bullet before loading it)

Being the brilliant one, I put them in my tumbler for an hour thinking that it would clean the gunk off.

Well I created one big mess, the lube now was all over the cases as well as the bullets and I spent hours cleaning each case by hand.

What's the right way to clean off the excess lube?

Thanks in advance.

The easiest way: don't. But if you must, use a large, old, bath towel and lighter fluid.

<Danger! Professional Driver! Closed course! Do not attempt in poorly ventilated areas, or if anyone in a two-mile radius smokes!>

Dump ammo on the towel, Spray with lighter fluid. Pick up ends of towel with ammo in the "hammock" formed by the towel and let the ammo roll back and forth from one end to the other. The towel and solvent will rub the lube off. Let air-dry.

<Throw out towel! Do not run through wash, or wife unit will be very cross! Washing towel with other clothes will cause people to avoid you for several subsequent washings of those garments!>

Buy better bullets in the future.

I've had that problem also with some bullets.

Being 'dumb', I just tried wiping some of it off with my thumb and continue reloading.

Well, about 200 rounds later the ammo looked awfully short. :(

The lube was collecting in the die and lowering the seating depth.

Good practice for malfunctioning drills. ;)

......Well, about 200 rounds later the ammo looked awfully short. :(

The lube was collecting in the die and lowering the seating depth.

Good practice for malfunctioning drills. ;)

Awful short, huh? May be great for a first hand experence with the "Kaboom" thing you read about. :blink::wacko::(

Something that will reduce the amount of lube on the outside is to increase the bell of the brass mouth in the powder station. If the bell is too small, it tends to scrape excess lube off and it accumulates everywhere.

FWIW

dj

OBTW,

if I clean excess lube off of the finished rounds, I put a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits in my tumbling media, toss the bullets in and run about 30 minutes. It will remove all but the thickest accumulation.

dj

Edited by dajarrel

Something that will reduce the amount of lube on the outside is to increase the bell of the brass mouth in the powder station. If the bell is too small, it tends to scrape excess lube off and it accumulates everywhere.

FWIW

dj

OBTW,

if I clean excess lube off of the finished rounds, I put a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits in my tumbling media, toss the bullets in and run about 30 minutes. It will remove all but the thickest accumulation.

dj

I think I'll give your suggestion a try.

THANKS!

I recently loaded some 200gr lead cast bullets for the first time and noticed that many had excess lube lube around the neck of the case. (I'm talking about the band of lube that is on a cast bullet before loading it)

Being the brilliant one, I put them in my tumbler for an hour thinking that it would clean the gunk off.

Well I created one big mess, the lube now was all over the cases as well as the bullets and I spent hours cleaning each case by hand.

What's the right way to clean off the excess lube?

Thanks in advance.

I used to have that problem. What was happening was the lube was being shaved off during seating and then would get smeared all over during crimping. I solved it by increasing my flare by a small amount.

Bronson7