Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need To Just Make Power Factor For Idpa With .357

TLD

I don't have a chrony, so I have to load and pray.

• I have 2400 and Titegroup and cci and winchester regular and magnum primers and Hornady XTP HP bullets 125 grain.
  • I'm shooting in my first match, indoors and no lead is allowed.
  • The TG load in the Hodgdon manual only gives about 1200 fps in a 10" pressure barrel
  • The starting load for the 2400 in speer #13 is overkill from their 6" test barrel

Do you think the TG load will make 1000 fps it in my 4" M66 S&W?

How far can I reduce the 2400 load?

What would you suggest?

I don't want to kill the safety officer with blast (or my hand) but I need to be legal.

Thanks!

Edited by TLD

I've got Hodgdon's 2006 Annual Manual, and the starting load for Titegroup with 125 grain Hornady XTPs is 6.8 grains/1425 fps/36.5k CUP; max is 7.5 grains/1497 fps/41.2k CUP. Using a rule of thumb of 50 fps loss per inch of barrel, you'd get about 1125 fps from your 4" M66 (as opposed to the 10" barrel they used) with the starting load. They used Winchester SPM primers, which are the hottest available to the best of my knowledge, and aren't needed with TG. I'd use their starting load with Winchester standard primers. You'll probably be safe, and it's unlikely anyone will set up a chrono station at a local match.

TG is an excellent powder for autos, and I used a lot of it in my revolvers, but for some reason it seems to be awfully nasty to topstraps - I've got serious flame cutting on my M27 and M67 from using TG.

For a K frame, I suggest going to a medium-speed powder and heavier bullets. The new Unique burns cleanly at magnum pressures, and Hodgdon's Longshot works well for jacketed bullets, so those are my choices; there are lots of other good ones. I stick with 158 grain bullets.

Good luck at your first match!

I've got Hodgdon's 2006 Annual Manual, and the starting load for Titegroup with 125 grain Hornady XTPs is 6.8 grains/1425 fps/36.5k CUP; max is 7.5 grains/1497 fps/41.2k CUP. Using a rule of thumb of 50 fps loss per inch of barrel, you'd get about 1125 fps from your 4" M66 (as opposed to the 10" barrel they used) with the starting load. They used Winchester SPM primers, which are the hottest available to the best of my knowledge, and aren't needed with TG. I'd use their starting load with Winchester standard primers. You'll probably be safe, and it's unlikely anyone will set up a chrono station at a local match.

TG is an excellent powder for autos, and I used a lot of it in my revolvers, but for some reason it seems to be awfully nasty to topstraps - I've got serious flame cutting on my M27 and M67 from using TG.

For a K frame, I suggest going to a medium-speed powder and heavier bullets. The new Unique burns cleanly at magnum pressures, and Hodgdon's Longshot works well for jacketed bullets, so those are my choices; there are lots of other good ones. I stick with 158 grain bullets.

Good luck at your first match!

Thanks for the information. This will probably be the only time I use those 125g bullets at a match. I don't really shoot the revolver much in matches (steel challenge and bowling pins until now) so do you think the flame cutting will be an issue for 100 rounds?

Good info. Thanks,

Terry

Thanks for the information. This will probably be the only time I use those 125g bullets at a match. I don't really shoot the revolver much in matches (steel challenge and bowling pins until now) so do you think the flame cutting will be an issue for 100 rounds?
For 100 rounds, you won't notice it. It took a few thousand before I noticed.

tightgroup would work better for the 125 grain bullet though. 125 grain bullets did not work well for me as a .38 special, in .357 mag loadings, they are decent enough. I'd rather load the heavier bullets and not beat me, my ears, and the gun up as much though. worth considering after you shoot up all the 125 grain bullets.

I swear there are lies, damn lies, and velocity figures from load manuals. Eventually you should chrono them.

Ted