Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Match Vs Local Match

jasmap

Thanks Steve. Those are excellent ideas. This is going in the direction I was hoping it would. I have my own ideas but I really like to pick the brain of other shooters. I got your book awhile back Steve and it's a huge help. I am reading Saul Kirsch's "Thinking Practical Shooting" right now but I will try Bansham's book next. I've heard great things about it. As for squadding with great shooters, I am at a great club for that. I shoot at Rio Solado in Mesa and our club has Leatham, Hobdell, Burkett comes around, and tons of other great shooters. Thanks for all the ideas from everyone.

• 1 month later...
the only stage that matters is the one your getting ready to shoot

I completely agree. I'm really putting more emphasis on the mental aspect of my game because I KNOW that its held me back some. My focus needs to be on one shot at a time and not the overall or my self-induced pressure.

Good stuff here!!!

the posts that jump into my head are Jacks(J1b) Steve Andersons and Shreds(driving)

let me add a little here.....

I use my local matches as a spring board for big matches so when I have no big matches comeing up I am always pushing, trying alternative stuff ect. just to know what works and does not work. and attempting to shoot at like Mover 5 said 110%.

Having said that, when a major match is coming up I reserve myself to Major match mentality at the local match.....1 stage at a time, and knowing what I can do, and knowing what I should not do. and attempting to stay in COMPLETE control....1 stage at a time.

That way when I get to the "Big Match" it is nothing I have not already have been doing. ;)

Hopalong

• 3 months later...

One of the best one-line pieces of big match advice I ever got, as I was packing up to go to Area 4: "Driving to Shreveport does not make you a better shooter".

No ...but the drive back helps. motivation

I may learn more on a long drive home than any other time. Its one reason I like to drive to the matches out of state.

Got that right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!