Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to butcher a Glock...

Ron Ankeny

I bought a G19 from a local dealer (and shooter buddy) and I then commenced to modifying the pistol to suit my needs. When I got finished with the pistol, my buddy accused me of butchering my Glock. I think he called it a cobbled up POS, or something to that effect. Wow, he sure knows how to deflate a guy's ego.

As many of you know, Front Sight Magazine has been featuing several articles on how to "Dremel" your Glock. There seems to be quite a bit of interest in do-it-yourself Glock butchering so I thought I would share some of my "secrets".

First off, I put in a 3.5 pound connector. Not much of a secret, but it helps. I also put on a set of Trijicon night sights.

I hate the grip angle on a Glock so a couple of years ago I sent a G35 to Arizona Response Systems for a "grip reduction". Later on, I sent a G22 to Robar for their grip reduction. I then started doing my own grip reductions and I think my do-it-yourself reduction looks better than those by Burns or ARS, but not as good as Robar. Here's a picture of my G19 grip.

GRIP.jpg

I simply mow the dickens out of the back strap then fill the void with a "secret" compund that exhibits less than 1% shrinkage. I have done several reductions and none of them have shot loose. Just add the secret filler and shape to suit. Oh yeah, the secret filler is Acraglass Gel from Brownell's with their black dye added to color.  After the backstrap is formed, I apply a textured finish by stippling the back strap with the secret filler, applying it with a very stiff brush (glue or chip brush will work). If the finish is too glossy, just rub it down with extra fine steel wool. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I also grind the front of the trigger guard off to make it round then texture it for looks.

In case you are wondering what is up with the little circles on the grip, that's my secret grip texture enhancement. I saw a picture on the Web from one of the major custom gunsmiths that depicted their grip enhancement and I also handled an SVI that had the proceedure done to it. I applied the texture to my STI and it really helps the grip by creating little raised ridges. I also applied the treatment to the G19 and then I added a piece of grip tape to the front strap. How to make all of those little circles? It's pretty easy. Just heat the end of a punch with your handy little propane torch and press the punch into the grip. Avoid breathing the fumes.

The grip reduction and texturing of the side panels takes about 3 hours (excluding drying time) and you will save you about $275.00 by doing it yourself. Here's my finished project:

g19.jpg

So what do you think? Is it worthy of the distinction of "cobbled up POS"?

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 12:06 pm on Jan. 5, 2002)

LOL!!

POS it's not.  I like the rounded trigger guard, I like the grip texturing....I don't like the grip reduction, probably because I like the way my Glock points and I wouldn't want to change it.  But you did a fine job!

"Secret" filler huh?  I hear Dane uses a Nylon resin as his secret filler.

It's funny you mentioned the articles in FS.  I was just reading a back issue today about tightening the slide to frame fit.  I hope I don't have too many stouts and decide to attempt it! I'm locking my tools up this weekend!!

I also added the 3.5lb connector to my 19 - and it made my 19 feel just like a D/A revolver until I added a reduced power striker spring. BIG improvement! Its true, with the reduced power striker, I sometimes get failures to fire when I use military surplus ammo with extra hard primers, but all the American commercial stuff (and most foreign commercial) works 100%.  I did have some failures with a friend's reloads using the CCI extra hard military primers meant to prevent slam fires in full auto guns - if you use these primers, you might want to put the old full power striker spring back in.

I started IPSC shooting with my 19 - now its just my carry gun - and up for trade for a 3rd Gen 17 if anyone really wants to ditch those awful fingergrooves in favor of my awesome Mod. 19.