Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Defender

Tweaker

I'm looking to buy a Colt Defender. I understand it uses a dual recoil spring setup. Can these be changed? Are the sear and mainsprings interchangable with the standard 1911? What kind of spring strengths am I looking for? I want a 4-4 1/2# trigger and will be shooting hot JHP rounds like Corbon/Gold Dot. Is the trigger group the same?

Edited by Tweaker

You may want to post these questions over on the 1911forum.com

or M1911.org. Lots of good info over there.

I'd would but I can't access that site from work here:( Thanks for the tip though.

I've been doing a little research. It looks like the trigger group and sear spring is the same on all 1911 variants. The main springs should be the same as the officers model. I "think" the recoil is as well. Stock strength recoil is 22/23lb and mainspring is 23lb.

I would not shoot any +P through any 3" 1911. They can be finicky enough without it. I use only 230 gr jhp in my Kimber Ultra Compact and it runs 100% with Wilson or McCormick magazines. I also change the recoil springs every 800 rounds and use Wolff extra power recoil spring.

The dual recoil spring assembly is only available from Colt, I have the part numbers at work if you need them. While it says "Series 90" the Defender's fire control group is pure Series 80.

I polished the sear and did a "release cut" in it, replaced the mainspring with one a couple of pounds lighter (sorry, I don't remember what the stock spring weight is) from Wolff and then tweaked the sear spring resulting in a fairly crisp 3 1/2 pound pull that's completely reliable.

The single best thing I did for my little gun was buy some Tripp CobraMags. They really smoothed things out and they don't ding the feed ramp like the Colt mags do.

I've been carrying my Defender everyday for years now, I've found it to be COMPLETELY reliable and not at all finicky about ammo.

Ed

I ended up buying a Colt Lightweight Officers Model. It's all black I've got a whole list of things to do to it. It will eventually look like a Kimber CDP. It already has a full length guide rod installed with a single spring. I polished up the trigger components, installed a C&S sear spring and tuned it to about 4 1/4lb. The slide will be Armaloy coated, which looks like matte stainless. Armaloy is only .0001-.0002 thick, will not chip, and has a harness of >70 Rc. The mag catch, thumb safety, and barrel bushing will be coated as well. I want to install a stainless hi-rise beavertail and a stainless S&A mainspring housing/magwell. An adjustable aluminum trigger will replace the plastic piece. The firing pin stop will be stainless as well as an extended slide release. I'll finish it off with thin rosewood grips w/stainless screws and a set of night sights. More to come later.