Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sdb Shellplate Not Indexing Fully

I bought a used SDB last spring/summer and set it up with a new .40 caliber conversion. I've loaded nearly 2k rounds on it and just last night I went to change my powder charge. I threw 15 charges and dumped them back in then threw 10 more to weigh. Repeated the process one more time and all the while noticed that every few cycles of the machine the shellplate didn't index completely to the next station. I removed the shell plate and noted that the ball bearing and spring were in the right spot and it wasn't too dirty in there. I did clean out a little powder and bullet shavings. I'm afraid to load on it in this condition because I don't want to chance blowing any primers on the underside of the shellplate.

Any clues what would cause this?

splashdown

Yeah, the metal "finger" on the indexer on the older SDBs was made from a pretty soft alloy that would wear out and need replacement from time to time. The newer indexers are much better--I'd suggest you replace that part (they'll send you one for the asking), and clean and lubricate your machine when you install it, and you should be all set.

Thanks for the reply. To replace that part I'd guess I need to take the ram out? I started to do that (for deep cleaning) but couldn't get it out the bottom. What is blocking it? I actually bought the parts kit so I have that metal "finger". I'd also like to replace the plastic rails that guide the ram while I'm in there. Anything else I should replace?