Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I Need To Start With The Safety Engaged On Ssp?

TLD

I am going to my first IDPA match and plan to use my CCW gun, a S&W 3913, if I dont' have to engage the decocker.

I quit using my 5906 at a local range for steel challenge because they made me engage the slide mounted decocker which is too difficult to disengage quickly for my short thumbs.

I have the IDPA rules and I believe it says you have to start with the gun "holstered and safe." My contention is that I don't have a safety, I have a decocker.

Can someone offer clarification?

Thanks!

Terry

No you DO NOT have to start with the de-cocker in the down position. You could also use your 5905 if it is the 4" version, the 5" models are too heavy for SSP (Stock Service Pistol) unless they are an aloy frame.

Thanks for the information. I just might use the 5906. I have all the gear for it, and I shoot it more accurately.

On a related note; if I have a SA/DA auto like Beretta or specifically, a CZ -75, and I want to shoot in ESP, the question is: CAN I start with the hammer DOWN ?

Yes, I know that the 1st shot would be DA and every shot thereafter would be SA (no competitive advantage) - but I did not see anything that would prevent this in the rules.

On a related note; if I have a SA/DA auto like Beretta or specifically, a CZ -75, and I want to shoot in ESP, the question is: CAN I start with the hammer DOWN ?
Sure. But if the gun otherwise qualifies as an SSP gun, why? The only ESP gun I have is a standard CZ-75B, and I shoot it C&L. I originally classified in SSP with the same gun, hammer down.

Have I just answered my own question? :)