Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swinger Focus........

Rumpy

Having shot a stage today with a few swingers, I've found that for some reason that I'm having difficulty in focussing on my front sight (limited) when shooting a swinger that was only seen at through a port, thus must be engaged traveling at top speed.....

What's happening is when I bring the sights onto the swingers port, as the swinger comes into view my focus comes off the front sight and then goes onto the target and then back to the front sight and by the time I fire the shot its too late. I then have to wait for the next pass and then it happens again. It takes about 2-3 passes before I actually confident with the shot.

Can someone please explain how the best way to engage these type of swingers would be and explain what you would focus on.....

I have been working on shooting swingers lately. What I have found that works for me is to just get the same sight picture as I would on any other paper target but, I will lead it in the same direction that the swinger is going.

I have been setting up swingers and adjusting the counter weights on them to get different swinging speeds so that I can learn to adjust for the amount of lead on targets of varying speeds.

Thanks for the reply, I generally use the same (front sight focus) for normal swingers and have no problems, but with the swingers where you only see them for a split second through a port that's where I have the problem...

Thanks for the reply, I generally use the same (front sight focus) for normal swingers and have no problems, but with the swingers where you only see them for a split second through a port that's where I have the problem...

What's happening is when I bring the sights onto the swingers port, as the swinger comes into view my focus comes off the front sight and then goes onto the target and then back to the front sight and by the time I fire the shot its too late.

Rumpy, I do this with all swingers!!! I hope more people reply because I'm looking for some answers for myself.

Hey Rumpy.

If you have access to a swinger, then practice with different sight pictures.

When shooting swingers, my focal plane is on the target. I still see the front sight, but the plane of focus is on the target. That's not traditional, but it works for me.

Good luck.

I don't know if this makes sense but it works for me. I line my sights up on the side of the port where the target will appear. When the target passes, I fire as the c zone crosses my sights. I exaggerate the timing as the swinger speeds up.