Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer mounted FP and dry fire

Makicjf

I'm looking at a 1989 625 5 inch with a hammer mounted firing pin:  can it be dry fired ? Perhaps dry inferno'd would be more appropriate....

I don't want to pick it up if I can't wear it out.

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

I've had a m28 since 1974, dry fired it a lot.  Even now.  I even shoot it in icore classic, using short colts and L frame comp 3's.  Had no trouble, but I have seen reports of the fp cracking.  Probably be a pain to replace too.

Might be wise to use snap caps or at least fired cases.

16 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

I've had a m28 since 1974, dry fired it a lot.  Even now.  I even shoot it in icore classic, using short colts and L frame comp 3's.  Had no trouble, but I have seen reports of the fp cracking.  Probably be a pain to replace too.

Might be wise to use snap caps or at least fired cases.

Thanks

I have a 1917 that's not been parkarized that I've always been afraid of dry firing. That's my only experience with hammer mounted pins. I think I'll pass: if it's mine and it can go wrong, it will! :)

I'm thinking that needing to replace my five inch 625 maybe the perfect opportunity to get a 6 inch 610 new production.  

Jason

You can dry-fire any 625 at will.  It won't hurt anything.  In the incredibly small chance the hammer nose breaks, they're an easy replacement.  

That said, be careful if it's a 625-3.  All of the 625-2s and some of the earlier run 625-3s have chambers that are slightly out-of-spec and require reaming for the stuff we do.  Make sure a random selection of loaded moonclips drop in cleanly before buying.  

11 hours ago, Carmoney said:

said, be careful if it's a 625-3.  All of the 625-2s and some of the earlier run 625-3s have chambers that are slightly out-of-spec and require reaming for the stuff we do.  Make sure a random selection of loaded moonclips

I don't mind reaming for undersized throats.  Oversized can be PIA.  I have a super Redhawk that needs .454+.

What about a 625-4?

Thanks!

Jason

Screenshot_20241022-085134.png

41 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

I don't mind reaming for undersized throats.  Oversized can be PIA.  I have a super Redhawk that needs .454+.

What about a 625-4?

Thanks!

Jason

Screenshot_20241022-085134.png

The reaming mike is talking about is the chambers, not the throats.

8 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

That sounds like a pain, too!

Jason

Actually it's not bad.  Reamers under a c note.  I was having issues with my 625 after decades of gap brass and coated bullets.  Thought it was just crappy brass, some are 3 decades old and cant begin to guess the times reloaded, in both 1911 and revolvers.  Took about 30 minutes, remove cylinder, remove star, chuck into vise, keep well lubed, only turn CW and clean frequently.

Went so well I got a reamer for my 627's and did them.  Figured sc brass and coated bullets were the same.  Didn't take anything out and wasn't needed, yet? Or ever.

But my OCD was sated.

Edited by pskys2