Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DS9 LOC vs SCSA DS9 Open pistol

Fimrire_RongLifle

I have an open configuration 2011-22 for RFPO currently. I am weighing getting a DS9 SCSA model vs a DS9LOC model as an open SCSA pistol. Besides the very obvious frame mount difference i see the LOC may have advantages for USPSA LOC if I like and if LOC comes to SCSA. Considering both would be shooting minor/factory loads so I 'really' need to consider the SCSA open config? I am not yet M class so any disadvantage in speed and outcomes is me and in open/LOC i am U class currently.

All a matter of what you want to do going forward.  Since you have to transition from plate to plate there is plenty of time for the slide and dot to settle.  Not like in USPSA where you are double-tapping targets.  While I am not shooting centerfire pistols so much anymore I have a couple of Caniks.  One is set for CO and the other for Open.  The Open gun can now double as an LO since the dot is on the slide.

Far be it for me to tell you how to spend your money, but buying 1 gun that fits into 2 divisions means more money for ammo.  

If you're going to shoot both sports avidly I would get the LOC (or even the LOC Version 2 that they just released).  It is among the best guns for USPSA LO.  The only downside for SCSA is that it has a heavy steel grip, which some hardcore SCSA enthusiasts like myself believe is not ideal because it makes it slightly harder to draw and transition.  SCSA guns have always been designed around aluminum grips since recoil mitigation for subminor ammo has never been a big issue.

I own a DS9 DL Steel Challenge gun (which is an absolutely fantastic gun for SCSA Open) but it doesn't have a place in USPSA since it is a minor-only gun.  I'd get the LOC or LOC V2 without question in your situation.

I own a STI Steelmaster for SCSA.  Brazos mount with Sig Romeo 3XL optic.  Awesome open gun.

I was going to convert my Edge to Limited Optics (January 2025) but decided to buy a Prodigy DS9.  Put in new trigger kit, extended thumb rest, Nitro Fin (specifically for Prodigy) and Dawson magwell.  Holosun optic.  The gun runs 100%.  I’ve been shooting it as SCSA Open to practice with it.  My old MBX and STI mags are perfect.  No additional tuning and 3lb crisp trigger w/short re-set.  I’m in for just under $2k.  BTW….it runs 100gr Atlanta Arms just fine.  

I weighed my decision based on how often I would shoot LO vs several other divisions that I also shoot.

Lot of nice gun options these days.  Good luck.  BTW….Im only SCSA these days.