Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Permanent Colostomy Bag

I'm not really sure if this should be combined with my other thread or not.  However I feel it's it's going in a different direction. If a moderator reads this maybe colostomy could be my title of the other thread? For those not aware I'm going though rectal cancer and have recently slipped to stage III. I have seen multiple doctors and seems the only way I'll live is with a permanent colostomy Bag. I have my surgery scheduled for the beginning of December. I'm going though alot of emotions many of which I never thought I had. One of my hangups is will I be able to get a holster on? I'm a pretty serious revolver steel challenge shooter and do okay at it. I would really like to continue after this whole mess. Has anyone else shot with a bag or know anyone who has ? Any tips etc? 

With much appection to all who supported and reached out to me 

Squirrel 

I'm so sorry. I first had Ulcerative Colitis 35 years ago. With that is an increased risk of colon cancer. There was a good chance if it continued as it did for years that ultimately I would have the bag too. I had major flare ups for years that gradually lessened. I've had several new doctors in the last few years and each was surprised when they did the colonoscopy.  They can see scarring but it looks good. Officially in remission but will still have colonoscopy every 3 years.

I don't have an answer for you but have wondered the same thing myself. The best of luck to you and do what is needed for your health.

Back in 1992, I got injured at work (fell backwards on an 8" long x 1/4" x 1/2" wide steel spike). It punctured quite a few things inside me, to say the least. I was an idiot, and got on my motorcycle, and drove home, changed clothes, and then decided to go to the hospital...it took a 5 hour surgery to patch me up. 

When I woke up, I had a temporary colostomy, with the doctors telling me that in 3 months, I would have another surgery to remove the colostomy and finish repairing the rest. 

Not gonna lie, the first couple of weeks were rough, but it depends upon where they tie in the colostomy bag. Once it had healed, the bag really wasn't that big of a deal. Mine was pretty much on the upper left side, above the waist. Took a bit of getting used to, but not too bad. 

There are a few drawbacks, but Inwon't discuss them here, PM me if you want to know them.

My friends once asked me what it was like, and I told them...I saved a ton of money on toilet paper.

I see no reason at all that you couldn't wear a gun belt or shoot matches, but, like I said, it depends upon where they tie in the bag.