Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production G17 Set-Up Questions

Nick Weidhaas

I’ve been out of the game for quite some time. I think I want to come back and make a run at making master in production with a Glock.  I know production is out of favor, but this is just an old guy’s personal goal.

The prod. gun rules have changed since I last shot in 2013.  Am I correct that the max gun weight is now 59oz., 15 round max mag capacity and a working light can now be used?  Am I missing anything?   

With a max gun weight of 59oz, does this mean I can run a tungsten guide rod, a working light and weighted mag base plates on my 17 as long as I’m not over 59oz?  Have most gone to a working light on the gun or is this more an individual choice based on feel/balance?

If I’m missing anything, please let me know.  Appreciate any help in advance.

Nick-

59oz, 15rds, and still needs to fit the box.   

Honestly I see less lights than I did when it first was allowed.  It's really just a preference thing on how it balances out.  I found a tungsten guide rod and a brass plug from CHPWS balances out better for me.

34 minutes ago, robchavous said:

59oz, 15rds, and still needs to fit the box.   

Honestly I see less lights than I did when it first was allowed.  It's really just a preference thing on how it balances out.  I found a tungsten guide rod and a brass plug from CHPWS balances out better for me.

Thank you!

To piggy-back on Rob's post:  Lights seem to be going out of favor for most competitive types.  Reports that I am getting from the big matches say that they're now a big rarity.

I think it's because it makes the gun front-heavy.  We're only fighting recoil from 130 Power Factor 9mm loads.  It ain't much to begin with.  The extra weight doesn't really help that much and it makes the gun harder to swing from target to target.

To me, the main advantage of shooting a Glock in competition is the fact that it is sub-30 ounces in most configurations.  That makes for fast draws, transitions, and reloads (just about everything that involves big gun movements).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2024 at 10:56 PM, Braxton1 said:

To piggy-back on Rob's post:  Lights seem to be going out of favor for most competitive types.  Reports that I am getting from the big matches say that they're now a big rarity.

I think it's because it makes the gun front-heavy.  We're only fighting recoil from 130 Power Factor 9mm loads.  It ain't much to begin with.  The extra weight doesn't really help that much and it makes the gun harder to swing from target to target.

To me, the main advantage of shooting a Glock in competition is the fact that it is sub-30 ounces in most configurations.  That makes for fast draws, transitions, and reloads (just about everything that involves big gun movements).

Thank you.