Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the benefit of JP5 Ultralight over SCC?

The benefit is the shrouded 6" barrel.  There are three ports in the sleeve, but I doubt they do anything.

The problem with 14" or 16" barrels is the increased velocity you get with most factory and 130+PF handloads.   I shot a 5lb. PCC for years and could never get a buffer/spring setup I liked.  I chrono'd my 130 PF pistol load (5" barrel) and discovered it was 160+ PF out of my 16" .

To keep velocities down in a long barrel requires you to load light.  That means dirty, unless you use the Super Vel ammo specifically designed for 16" barrels.  I replaced my 16" with a 5" sleeved barrel and the results were fantastic.  I can now use the same ammo in my 5" 2011 and my PCC.  The gun stays a lot cleaner.  Balance is nearly the same.   You fine tune your transitions with where you place your weak hand on the hand guard.

If I were going to buy a JP5 for SCSA, it would most definitely be the Ultralight.

Edited by zzt
On 10/10/2024 at 1:51 PM, Michaelsabre said:

That's great info. Thanks!

What about in USPSA match? Will it perform better than SCC model?

I will be fine for USPSA.  If I shot PCC in USPSA, I'd still use the sleeved barrel.  No disadvantage, and your pistol and PCC ammo is the same.

The only advantage to a 14" or 16" barrel is if you want to shoot the new Super Vel 100gr @ 1350fps ammo in it.   It won't even make PF out of a short barrel.

On 10/10/2024 at 10:49 AM, Michaelsabre said:

I am thinking ordering JP5 and saw their new offering of Ultralight.

It has not brake and it's lighter. What's the deal?

For folks that prefer a reduced amount of weight at the muzzle end, there's an aluminum shroud over the barrel to make 16". Some examples are shooters that mostly shoot Steel Challenge, kids, some smaller stature folks and even some big fellas might prefer the lighter upper. 

I tend to stick with the 14.5" pin and welds for USPSA. I did a video series on why here: JP-5 Video

Performance is all up to the competitor. What you like may not be what I like. That's cool and why there's different models for everyone.