Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Release

Putty

Have a single stack .45 colt commander. Running CM 10 round mags, and I have to use both hands to release the mags when they are full capacity. Any way to make this an easier event, whereby I can use just my thumb to release the mag as was intended? Could it be as simple as cutting down the spring in the mag release button housing?

Regards,

A

Please follow this link to Brazos Custom for reduced power mag release springs. Click on the drop down arrow under "select spring poundage" to see "Reduced Power #1" and "Reduced Power #2".

However, if you are having this problem only when the mag is full then it's not a problem with the mag release. It's a problem with the magazine. If you reduce the power on the mag release spring too much, when the gun is firing you'll find the magazine shooting out of the gun when you don't want it too.

Happy Shooting ...

It's a problem with the mag release, as short_round stated. What's happening is that the 10-round mag doesn't have much compression left when it's full, so when it's jammed in the frame it pushes down on the mag release.

I'd guess there are a couple things you could do. Here's what I'd do, in order:

1-Polish the mag release to remove burrs and what not that could make things get nice and stuck.

2-File on the mag release protuberance's top ever so slightly so that there's a little room for movement... don't forget to polish it afterwards.

3-File on the mags in the mag release slot (at the top of the slot)... don't forget to polish 'em afterwards.

Be VERY careful with 2 and 3 so that you don't run into feeding issues ('cause the rounds aren't in a good enough spot anymore).

Edited by 300lbGorilla

What's happening is that the 10-round mag doesn't have much compression left when it's full, so when it's jammed in the frame it pushes down on the mag release.

Exactly.

Be VERY careful with 2 and 3 so that you don't run into feeding issues ('cause the rounds aren't in a good enough spot anymore).

Exactly again ... which is why I typically play around with the spring and follower instead. I have to confess here that I don't have much experience playing around with 1911 L-10 magazines (I shoot open or stay home :P ). So instead of making something up ... I'm hoping some of the single stack guys with more experience have some advice for you.

I would say it's an little problem if your mags release reliably with less than 10 rounds.

Finally ... I think I would have to agree with this. If the mags have not had many rounds through them maybe they just need to be borken in and the spring will loosen up with a little wear to the point that it does not annoy you so much.

FWIW