Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Control During Dry Fire

iweiny

So I was dry firing last night... I have been focusing on improving my grip strength lately, partly because of some wrist pain and partly because sometimes I find myself shaking when I am shooting one handed. Anyway...

I noticed that you can really tell if you are pulling the trigger straight back if you almost totaly release the pressure on the gun. I mean I pretty much losened my grip to the point I was afraid the grip safety would not be deactivated. Then when I was working my trigger finger any side to side motion was really amplified. I think I might have found a problem which has caused me to be inconsistent. Matt Burkett told me in a class we took that I problably had tension which was allowing me to be sloppy with my trigger finger. If my tension was "right" I would be ok. But if I had a slightly different grip the tension would not be able to compensate for the improper trigger control. Anyway...

I think I learned something last night and I thought I would share, :)

Ira

For a 1911-type gun [think this works for Cz/Tz too] a cool thing to try is dry-firing with the slide locked back. You don't get the break but you do get the take-up for the first part and the take-up plus the sear-spring for the 2nd part, same as live-fire. You'll feel [nearly] the same pull weight at the same point in the trigger's travel as live-fire.

Not as realistic as dry-firing a revolver but close. Especially with a dot, you'll see just how much you disturb your hold & you'll get a lot more reps in a short time.

Pretty quick way to demonstrate to your right-brain how to shoot left-handed. Mine seems to need the reminder - daily...

• 2 weeks later...

Try this (1911 pattern gun):

Get an optimal sight picture. Leave the thumb safety engaged.

Press the trigger without disturbing the sight picture.

Now release the trigger.

If the sight picture moves on the release, you still have not isolated the movement of the trigger finger from the rest of your hand.

I still can't do this well, and it's especially bad if I am dryfiring multiple targets.

Edited by kevin c