Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome And Action Job

revchuck

Okay, doing this to a blued S&W revolver, which is the chicken, and which is the egg? If it matters, it'll be an all-forged-part gun, either a M10 or M13 (or both).

TIA!

I've worked on several guns and then hard-chromed them. On either a revo or auto, I would definitely advise doing the action/trigger job first, then sent it off to be plated, understanding that you may need to do a little minor touch-up after it gets back. My hard-chromed guns have some of the best actions I own.

Good luck!

Okay, doing this to a blued S&W revolver, which is the chicken, and which is the egg? If it matters, it'll be an all-forged-part gun, either a M10 or M13 (or both).

TIA!

I've worked on several guns and then hard-chromed them. On either a revo or auto, I would definitely advise doing the action/trigger job first, then sent it off to be plated, understanding that you may need to do a little minor touch-up after it gets back. My hard-chromed guns have some of the best actions I own.

Good luck!

I agree you want to get your gun all dailed in, then hard chrome it.

Once it's hard chromed your stuck with it.

TIA!

Good luck!

+1

It changes the dimensions, but minimally so. Everything should still function properly. Sometimes the chrome job will make the slide feel like it fits a litter tighter on the rails, until it gets burnished in (then it just feels slick and smooth)--this is usually viewed as a good thing.

On one 1911 I sent off for hard chrome, I noticed the thumb safety felt a little stiffer at first--after working it for awhile, it was fine.