Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack .45

Merlin Orr

I have decieded to have a(nother) .45 single stack built. Every gun I use in competition for both USPSA and IDPA have ramped barrels - except my .45 single stack. Is there any + or - to ramped barrels in a .45? Are they needed/warrented?

Thanks for the input, Everyone.

Mike, I found the thread you pointed me toward. I would think that GS would be in the know. I will go with the non ramped barrel and not worry. I only have about 6 or 7K through my present SS gun - non ramped - and have never had a single failure of Any kind.

I would think that GS would be in the know.

I agree--I didn't mind being corrected by GS one bit! I'd always really had good luck with feeding in my various guns with ramped barrels, but thinking about it later, I realized that not one of these was a single-stack .45! (Sometimes I forget that most of the guys on the 1911 forum always assume you're talking .45...)

All of my SS .45s (maybe half a dozen) have traditional non-ramped barrels, and I try my very best to never keep unreliable guns around here. I have a Para 45-14 with an Ed Brown barrel which of course has the C/P ramp, and it works really great--but here again, it's definitely not a single-stack .45.

1911's chambered in 45acp tend to work better with non ramped barrels, we recommend not using them for 45's.............

Thank you for your input, Bob. My new child will have a Bar Sto tube.

Edited to add. Whoops..

Edited by Merlin Orr

• 2 weeks later...
Merlin, you can never have enough single-stack .45s! :lol:

BTW, I only have two right now :( .......howmennyougot??

Sam. You are most definitely right! I am at a low ebb right now and have only 3 .45s and my carry gun in .40. I guess 4 of em will be enough to keep me from withdrawal until I can "stock" back up. :D

Merlin, camp perry was won with a kart barrel. Lately a lot of bullseye shooters use them & I have used several with 50yd. groups at about 2". They are the cat's meow for accuracy & reliablity.

Benny, would putting the Kart barrel be wasted with the latest single stack you are building me? The old silk purse from a sow's ear issue?