Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 not locking back

I've started having a problem with my AR15. It has a areo Precision adjustable gas block. Lately it is not locking back on the last round.. It will lock back if I use a suppressor. But no matter how I adjust  it will not lock back without it.

You might check to be sure the adjustable gas block screw hasn't worked its way loose, after that I'd replace the gas rings. Easy method I've been taught to check them is set the bcg on a hard surface bolt head down on the surface and bolt rotated out to the max length it'll go, after setting it on the table if the bolt recedes into the carrier under its own weight then the gas rings are bad. 

The gas rings are brand new the bolt is tight It stays up like if you stand on his head don't slide down I was thinking maybe something to do with the gas block  Did send me an extra ball and spring I'm not sure if that Did send me an extra ball and spring I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it If I screw the gas all the way closed It runs really good with the suppressor And locks open. But no matter what Adjustments I do to the gas block It will not lock the bolt open. Thanks for all the advice Appreciate it guys

I had an odin adjustable on my 308 AR I never could get to run correctly either, I wound up going back to non adjustable and everything works fine, however I don't shoot it suppressed much. Could be possible the gas block isn't centered over the gas port hole and with the suppressors added pressure it works but without the added umph the pressure isn't there to lock it back. 

6 minutes ago, Runswithwood1 said:

I had an odin adjustable on my 308 AR I never could get to run correctly either, I wound up going back to non adjustable and everything works fine, however I don't shoot it suppressed much. Could be possible the gas block isn't centered over the gas port hole and with the suppressors added pressure it works but without the added umph the pressure isn't there to lock it back. 

This is a possibility, I will have to look at this.thx

On 8/15/2024 at 1:22 PM, prreed10 said:

I would check to make sure the gas block hasn’t moved forward. Even just a little bit. Seen this happen often.

I went ahead and reset the gas block cause it looked like it moved just a little bit. Won't get a chance till Wednesday. Because it's always Wednesday At the range, since I was watching Jim Stouten, On shooting USA.Thx guys.USMC