Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE open work.

Joe4d

16 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

I realize you are shooting factory but isn't the 627 an N frame?

yes, but its a 4" slab sided N frame.. which I got because someone wanted my 929 so they traded me a pre lock 625, which someone wanted enough to trade me the current 627.  So here it is.. I also have a 7 shot 5" slab side I enjoy the most.. Was on fence about shooting it in limited, but wanted to get classified so took the Open gun..
If I find an L frame 6 shot I like I may go Limited 6 or classic.,,, or shoot both at one match.
Too much of a pain switching holsters for me to do the 627 and 686,, Have to cjheck rules dunno if I can shoot the 7 shot in classic.

10 hours ago, Joe4d said:

If my chrono is an issue then  every match chrono I ever shot has nearly the exact issue as I generally come out the same at matches. Was a hair low at Eastern Nebraska but I bet it was in the 80's .
I measured the temp of the bullets them selves with an IR laser.. And yep those 120's were hot to pick up and put in the gun. That was the second bag.. First bag was CCI primers and were a bit faster, bag with federal primers was laying on truck bed so was the second string,, I keep the heat laser in my truck tool bag,, so pulled it out when my velocities were low.
Thought about trying WST,, but it has the same reputation for reverse heat sensitivity. AA#2 has had alot of the same comments. Honestly I never believed it until now,, or never figured it would make that much of a difference, as I am a fair weather shooter generally, So my Chrono days and match days wouldnt be a big enough difference that doing the typical 5 over PF wouldnt cover... Granted laying ammo in a baggie on an aluminum truck bed on a 100 plus degree day was a bit extreme I wasnt expecting that big a swing.
As mentioned got some Blues coming a gr heavier, I shortened OAL to 1.155 and upped a 10th a gr.. Will see what happens.

Joe:

Those IR Thermometers are 'the heat'.  

Not sure what to say but yours is the first time I have heard someone say their loads had a higher velocity cooler than warmer.  

May want to try Ramshot Competition or Tite Group.  I think Competition may be less sensitive to heat and cold than Tite Group but would need to do something like you did to test it.   

I always run the ammo over the chrono three or four times over the period of two weeks or so to be sure it is holding what ever standard I set.  That way I am dealing with different light conditions and temps but nothing extreme. 

GG

Edited by gargoil66

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

Joe:

Those IR Thermometers are 'the heat'.  

Not sure what to say but yours is the first time I have heard someone say their loads had a higher velocity cooler than warmer.  

May want to try Ramshot Competition or Tite Group.  I think Competition may be less sensitive to heat and cold than Tite Group but would need to do something like you did to test it.   

I always run the ammo over the chrono three or four times over the period of two weeks or so to be sure it is holding what ever standard I set.  That way I am dealing with different light conditions and temps but nothing extreme. 

GG

No idea what "The heat"  means,, the gun I use is accurate. my chrono is accurate
do a search,, lots of threads on this forum mention it, mostly with WST and a few on AA#2.. which seems to be the same or nearly the same powder. 
Simple matter of bumping charge,, I dont need to reinvent the wheel.. I wouldnt expect a chrono station to leave ammo in the sun.
I had heard it about AA2 but didnt think it was big enough to worry about.. 
The way Hodgdon is buying everything, may not have options in the future.. I have enough AA2 and Cleanshot to probably last me the rest of my shooting.. Then I still have a few 8lb jugs of TG and WST to work through. 

Edited by Joe4d

@Joe4d

some have suggested Titegroup. I tried it and didn’t like it because it burns so darned hot. Literally difficult to manipulate the cylinder during a long field course. 

As i read the ICORE rules you can use your 7 shooter in limited or open. That’s of course a disadvantage that may or may kot matter to you. 

I only shoot L6 or Classic. Mostly because my 627 is a little hinky yet and I’m trying to get the ratchet smoothed out. The old 586 I shoot in ICORE is smooth as butter. Goes well with my slow as molasses technique 😉 

8 minutes ago, practical_man said:

@Joe4d

some have suggested Titegroup. I tried it and didn’t like it because it burns so darned hot. Literally difficult to manipulate the cylinder during a long field course. 

As i read the ICORE rules you can use your 7 shooter in limited or open. That’s of course a disadvantage that may or may kot matter to you. 

I only shoot L6 or Classic. Mostly because my 627 is a little hinky yet and I’m trying to get the ratchet smoothed out. The old 586 I shoot in ICORE is smooth as butter. Goes well with my slow as molasses technique 😉 

yeh thats why I am not using the Tight group, I quit using it and went to WST in 40 major when I moved to Moly bullets,, I mean even Precision said dont use tight group due to smoke.. Tightgroup was it back in 40 major and minor but I was running jacketed.. 
I have yet to see a disadvantage to a 7 shot, despite rule changes, seems everything is still mostly 6 shot neutral.  Which is a bit of a drag because I coulda shot ICORE years ago if I hadnt listened to the nay sayers about the 7 shot.
If I get any more matches this year will stick with the 627 open at least until I get a class. then probably do limited.. After next hitch I may get serious about a limited 6 or classic gun.